How to negative rule restrict a private group in memberships plugin when NOT one of the most 50 rece

Hey there - for some reason when we upgraded to the latest version of WPMU version it reset all the settings. Now we cannot restrict access to the Free and Visitor/Stranger access levels to the paid members only private group in BuddyPress because the group at issue is not one of the most recent 50 created. Anyway to do this???

• Adrian

Hi there - thanks again for all the awesome support from you guys! I don't think a URL Group will work as a solution. Paid members posting updates to the Private Group, those updates will still be visible by non paying people in the BuddyPress Activity Streams even though those non paying members are not able to access the actual URL of the Private Group itself. Any other possibilities? I would have to have to delete like 50 groups to get to the first private group and negative restrict it. There should be an option in the plugin I think to "see the next 50 most recently created Groups"...just a thought...

Thanks!

AD

• Adrian

Hey Ashok, thanks for the info. So here's what I did - I created a URL Group for the URL:

http://www.suspicious0bservers.org/groups/private-0bservers-forum/

Which is the URL address of the Private BuddyPress Group we are trying to hide from non-paying people. I set Regular Express to "Yes" and left all other settings alone. I then went to the Access Levels screen and set the Free and Visitors Access Level (the two non paying ones) to have a negative rule for the URL Group we just created. I did not add any rules for the paying membership, so that they would still be able to do everything the free and visitor members are able to do.

Just some weird stuff going on - so in a different browser I am visiting the forums as a non-logged in person. Here is what I see - If I go to Sitewide Activity and filter by "Everything" I do not see updates to the Private Group. If I filter by "Updates" I also do not see updates to the Private Group. This is good. But if I go to All Groups, I do not see the Private Group listed. The way it used to work was that you could see the Private Group listed, but you could not access it (it would go to a protected content screen). People were able to read the description and realize you had to by a membership to access it. It'd be nice if we could still have that, but if not, it is not too horrible.

But then it gets weird. In another browser I am a logged in Admin User viewing the site as a Memberships Admin AND under the subtab "All Members". If I filter by "Everything" and "Updates" I do NOT see updates to the Private Group, which we want. If I switch to the paying membership level, same thing happens and we want updates to be visible here. BTW this used to work when we had been able to use the "Groups" negative rule instead of the "URL Groups" negative rule. This was somehow reset when we updated the Memberships plugin. The Free and Visitors access levels also do not show updates to the Private Group under either "Everything" or the "Updates" filter, which is what we want.

If I go and click "My Groups" as the sub menu tab, then in Sitewide Activity under the filter "Everything" and/or "Updates", I see updates to the Private Group which is good. If I change viewing the site to "Free" - under the filters "Everything" and "Updates", I STILL see updates to the Private Group, which we do not want to happen. If I change veiwing site as to "Visitors", the same thing happens. I am STILL able to see updates to the Private Group with the filters "Everything" and "Updates" (which is even more bizzare because in the other browser when I was not logged in, and thus a "Visitor" access level, I could NOT see these things". Is this just because I am already a member to the Private Group and this is just a weird glitch that ONLY I can see because I am an Admin User switching between views?

Thank you for your continued assistance. Is there any way just to get the Private Group listed as an option in the "Groups" access level negative rule area? That would restore functionality to what it was originally before we updated the Memberships plugin and before all the settings reset. I think this would be a valuable addition to the plugin as well, something that many users would appreciate.

Thanks and regards,

AD

• Adrian

Please change this:

But then it gets weird. In another browser I am a logged in Admin User viewing the site as a Memberships Admin AND under the subtab "All Members". If I filter by "Everything" and "Updates" I do NOT see updates to the Private Group, which we want.

To this:

But then it gets weird. In another browser I am a logged in Admin User viewing the site as a Memberships Admin AND under the subtab "All Members". If I filter by "Everything" and "Updates" I do NOT see updates to the Private Group, which we DO want, but it might not matter since this is just veiwing as Memberships Admin..

• Ash

is there a way to just manually enter some bit of PHP code somewhere in the plugin/theme/etc. files to manually set which Groups are negatively restricted?

I am afraid it's not possible :s

The issues is more complex than I thought. First of all, if the group is really a private group, then the group and it's updates never be visible to the members that are not member of that group even if your membership plugin is inactive.

I have tried to make a stage like you. For regular express set the url like

http://GROUP_URL/* (an asterisk at the end)
    http://www.suspicious0bservers.org/groups/private-0bservers-forum/*

Then I noticed, the private group never appeared to the free users and always appear for the membership admin. Not sure what I set up differently than yours :s

Would you please send me your access info (membership admin and free users), your private group url, who is the creator of the group via contact form? I will try to reproduce your problem in your server.

To send details, please use our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select: I have a different question
    Subject: Attn-Ash
    Details: Send all required details (admin info and/or ftp details) with a link of this thread, so that I can track.
    Also post a note here once you send the info.

I will be happy to take a look :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

• Ash

On another note, I do remember that when we were able to just select the Group to be negatively restricted for the Free and Visitors levels and left nothing restricted for the paying members levels, it all worked how we wanted it. Not sure if that helps or not.

This is really helpful. As you said the group is not listed within 50 groups now and when it was selected then it worked fine, so I increased the no of groups to 350 (as I didn't check how many groups are there) and you will see the group is listed there. I have just selected that groups as negative rule without going through the procedure I mentioned above.

Please check now if it works.

To change limit you need to add a line in your wp-config.php
    define( 'MEMBERSHIP_GROUP_COUNT', 350);

Please let me know if it is helpful and feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.