How to Oembed a Vimeo video and have it automatically size responsively?

I need to embed Vimeo videos using Oembed (not using the iframe code), and of course they need to size responsively, as YouTube videos do automatically. Can you recommend a good way to do it? I tried the 2 best-rated WP plugins (Fluid Video Embeds and Responsive Video Embeds), and they had no effect at all. Using WP 3.8 and a "premium" theme called "Sans".

I can provide a URL on request but can't leave it open indefinitely.

Thank you very much in advance!
Best,
Patty Ayers

• Patty J. Ayers
    • Flash Drive

Hi there Jack, and thanks very much for responding.

Yes, I did find the CSS-Tricks tutorial (both links are for the same technique) -- but it's for situations where you can use the Vimeo <iframe> code, or where you have access to the HTML.

I don't think it will work with the Oembed code, will it?

Best,
    Patty

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Patty,

Hope you're well today, just took a look at this and your right that it appears it won't work using the Oembed code.

I've checked for a solution using the Oembed version and it doesn't appear there is one from what I can find, I'll check with my colleague @PC.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Patty J. Ayers
    • Flash Drive

Hello again,

It did look totally promising, but even after several very meticulous tries, no success. Vimeo videos don't "respond" at all. I feel certain I did everything in the tutorial extremely carefully. :slight_frown:

And even *without* this fix, Vimeo videos are unpredictable. Videos from my client's "Vimeo Plus" account display at a fixed size of 690x590 px (huh?) And videos from my own free Vimeo account display at 320x240px.

At this point, my only option is to go to my client and ask her to put her videos on YouTube so that they can be embedded on a website! (YouTube videos "respond" fine without any hacks.)

I think this is getting beyond the call of duty for the support you can offer, but if you have any brainstorms, I'm all ears!

Thanks very much for your help,
    Patty

• pxwm
    • WP Core Meltdown

Hi @Patty J. Ayers

We have clients that use vimeo using Wordpress and we haven't come across this problem.

Is it possible you could please provide your url with the vimeo video embedded so I can have a look?

Out of interest have you reverted back to the default theme to confirm if this works?

Regards
    SteveB

• Patty J. Ayers
    • Flash Drive

Hi Steve B,

Hm, interesting. I haven't yet tried the Vimeo videos with the default theme, but great idea. I will.

I would be glad to show you the URL -- but the right video content isn't on the site at the moment. Also...

We are considering giving up on Vimeo because of this. However, I'm also waiting to hear back from the theme author to see if he has any insight.

Would you mind leaving this support thread open? I'll know more in a day or so.

Thank you!
    Best,
    Patty Ayers
    AyersVirtual.com

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there Patty,

Thanks for posting back. Sorry that the last suggestions did not help. That kinda is bad to hear that vimeo is not that reliable as YouTube to be honest. I have never heard that before.

While I was not able to find anything more on that however did you find any luck with the default theme ?

Cheers, PC

• Patty J. Ayers
    • Flash Drive

Hi PC,

Thank you for following up, really appreciate it.

I did some testing. I found that embedding videos using Oembed works differently with every theme I tried. But the responsiveness worked for both YouTube AND Vimeo -- EXCEPT with the one theme I'm using.

With TwentyFourteen, TwentyThirteen and TwentyTwelve, they embedded at a different size initially for each theme. Then, the video did "respond".

Unfortunately, with the theme I'm using ("Sans" by WeArePixel8) only YouTube works correctly.

So I think the main problem I have is with the "Sans" theme. We're going to work around that by using YouTube instead.

I still think there are some differences in the two services, Vimeo and YouTube, as far as responsiveness. But since the theme is a factor, it's hard to figure out exactly what's going on. A Vimeo support person did tell me that "the Vimeo player is not responsive by default". So maybe the theme has to do something special to work with Vimeo, and "Sans" didn't do that.

I guess this is resolved for now. Thank you again (everybody who responded)!

Best,
    Patty

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.