how to open website on computer

I downloaded my website in a zip file on my desktop. how do I open it and view the files? Do I need to download special software?

• Nahid
    • Tech Support

Hi ODaisyRose !
    Hope you are having a great day!

Well, are you referring the downloaded Zip to be a Snapshot backup? If no, can you point me out how have you downloaded it?
    If it is a Snapshot backup, and you are trying to view it on your computer locally, you need to install a local server environment and install WordPress in it. You can follow this handy post here to achieve that. In the new WordPress installation, simply install the WPMU Dev Dashboard plugin and Snapshot. Import your Zip into Snapshot and restore it from the Snapshots list. Guess what, you have restored your backup into your local server.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance regarding this. Thanks!

Best,
    Nahid.

• ODaisyRose
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi,

There was no link in your post to tell me how to do it. I don't know what a snapshot backup is. I simply don't want to lose the content on my website and was hoping to move some of it to a Facebook page so i don't have to keep paying for the domain, which is only used as an archive. Also, I want to know how I can download a website onto my computer and then open it to work on it. My ultimate goal is to delete a lot of my websites and simply put them all into a multi-site configuration, but that is a long way away. for now, I need to know what exactly I need to do to open my website on my computer. Thanks for your help.

All the best,

• ODaisyRose

No. I want to have the ability to save all the content and be able to open and access my website on my computer. I'm going to let a domain expire but I want to keep all the content that's why I followed the instructions to put it all in a zip file and downloaded it to my computer from bluehost. Now I want to be able to open the website on my computer and then upload the content to a facebook page.

• Nahid
    • Tech Support

Hi again ODaisyRose !

I'm sorry that the links in my previous post didn't show up at your side. I don't know if you can see the underlined text which are actually clickable links. Anyway, let me post the links for you again:

Snapshot: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/

Article on installing a local server: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/set-up-wordpress-locally-with-desktopserver/

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance regarding this. Thanks!

Best,
    Nahid.

• ODaisyRose

Hi Nahid,

Not sure why you have sent me again the same links which do not answer my question. The links are to a page offering to purchase snapshot. I need to know what to do to open a website on my computer. I know I have to download something but not sure what that is. Perhaps i am not being clear in my question. If so, please re-read my initial post. I am very grateful that you take the time to answer and would be grateful if you could advise me what to do. Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.