How to order menu items created on register page by Site Categories plugin

I only have two categories in my Site Categories plugin at present although more will be added later.

What I want to do is order the list of categories created on my Register page by the plugin, but despite searching around for a couple of hours I can't seem to find a method for doing so.

The plugin does not appear to allow me the choice to present the dropdown menu items in the order I would prefer.

Please advise

Thanks

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @joe,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

How are you displaying site Categories? Using widget or setting page as a landing page?

If you are using landing page then you change the category order from the Landing Page Categories Display Option From the path Admin -> Site Categories -> Settings and if you are using the widget then you can do so by setting Ordering widget option in the back end.

Best Regards,

• joe
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm using landing page and the solution you have provided does indeed set the order on the landing page itslef, but before we even arrive at that stage the dropdown menu created on the register page remains unaffected by any change to Landing Page Categories Display Option From the path Admin -> Site Categories -> Settings

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@joe,

Well the default order is alpha. Which is the same for say the WordPress Categories widget. There really are no options for controlling the signup page drop downs.

What order are you trying to list them in? Maybe we will consider some change in a future version.

• joe
    • The Crimson Coder

Category 1
    Category 2

This is how they appear in the menu at present, but I want category 2 to be top of the list, even as more categories are added later.

I tried renaming the categories like this

A Category 2
    B Category 1

But it made no difference to the way the menu appeared.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@joe,

That's a shame because it seems like such an obvious feature to have available.

Well in the 14 months this plugin has been on the market this is the first time a member has brought up that request. So sorry if it is not that obvious. Not trying to be snarky or rude. Just pointing out the other many hundreds of users seem to have no issues with the alpha ordering drop down,

So in your next reply please state a good business reason why having this option is important to you. I'll champion it internally to get the feature added to the plugin. But I can't add it without some member justification.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

Thanks @Vinod, I was hoping to get more feedback from @Joe on what/how he wanted to see the ordering of the presented site categories. As I noted they are presented as a dropdown in alpha order since that is what most people expected.

One thought I had was adding the ability to 'special' categories to the top. These would be presented as an optgroup http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_optgroup.asp at the top (still ordered alpha) and below that would be the rest of the categories. The biggest issue with that is handing nested categories.

• joe
    • The Crimson Coder

Sorry guys did not mean to appear rude - Have not been able to reply sooner.
    "Special Categories" or "Extra Important Categories" would probably sum it up.

Categories that could be placed at the top of the list due to some special circumstance.

Thanks for your consideration.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.