How to override theme category list page?

I'm having trouble with the listing of items within a category. My theme is overriding the Classifieds category list, so it won't display the table with the custom fields, etc.

How do I force my theme to use the Classifieds loop-taxonomy.php for this custom post type instead of the theme's category loop?

Thanks.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings russell_weller,

Sorry to see that you are having an issue with your WordPress installation and the Classifieds plugin with whatever theme you have chosen which you filed to disclose.

It can be pretty challenging to support other peoples work, but we do our best here to help you if we can.

What is the name of the theme?

What did the theme author have to say about this issue?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Russell Weller
    • Flash Drive

Thanks Joe. Any help or thoughts would be great. I'm also working with the framework and theme developer.

The theme is a child theme based on the Genesis framework by StudioPress. The issue effects all their child themes I've tried, so it's an incompatibility with the framework and Classifieds. It does not effect other custom post types using CustomPress.

It does not effect listing classified ads by author. That works fine, and uses the author.php and loop-author.php included in the Classifieds plugin folder.

But when I try and look at a Classified category, it appears to be loading as a page, instead of an archive or category list.

Here's some more background:
    1. I'm also using Custom Press to create several custom post types.
    2. One of those other custom post types also uses custom taxonomy for categories.
    3. Those custom taxonomies display fine, using the category.php or archive.php in the template.
    4. Even when a Classified category contains more than one post, only one post shows up.

Any thoughts?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings russell_weller,

Thank you for the additional detailed input which is absolutely appreciated.

I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us on how to get Genesis to play nice with Classifieds.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

Can't see your pages as they are behind a maintenance screen.If there are no custom templates as per the Template Hierarchy

http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy

It will substitute the Page template and use a filter to replace the content of the page with the outout from the content loops in ui-front/general.

That works OK If the theme follows the standard Wordpress template hierarchy. Some themes do what they please and therefore break the system. Headway, Thesis and Genisis all play loose with the standard templates and replace it with their own way of doing it. I haven't tried Genesis so I don't know the details.

If they followed the normal rule oyu could take a copy of archive.php, rename it to archive-classifieds.php, put it in yo0ur child theme directory and modify it as need to display you would replace the temes loop with an include of the loop-taxonomy.php

• Russell Weller
    • Flash Drive

I did finally figure this out with the theme designers help.

I was never able to get Wordpress to use the custom template as an archive, but I was able to get Wordpress to use it by hooking into the custom Classifieds Categories taxonomy.

I added a file called "taxonomy-classifieds_categories.php" into my child theme folder, and Wordpress now uses it for any Classifieds Categories.

It's working great now! Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.