How to password protected both page & content

Hi,

I will have an investor section on a Wordpress Site I am creating. I would like to have a password protected page(s) - where the investor can access information and download pdfs. The investor would enter a username which has already been established for them (I have a list) and a password - they can use the same password. I want to make sure that whatever plugin is used, it protects the page and downloads. I'm not sure if the Membership plugin can accomplish all of this, or the password protection plugin, or maybe it's both?

btw: I am going to use the Membership plugin with the eNewsletter, if someone can help me with the installation. When I installed it didn't work properly. The newsletter widget would't show an area to enter a name, and it didn't have a checkbox to select a category, it just showed them. In addition, something was masking the url's because links that I had sent to others wouldn't work, so I had to deactive it.

So if anyone could help me out, that would be great. I have granted access to the site via the wpmu dev plugin. I need to figure something out and have it running correctly on Monday, so hopefully this is the place to do it :slight_smile:

Thanks

• rosh

Hello Arizona Girl,
    I get what your requirement is. Its not a conventional method, but I think this might work for you.
    Enable multisite for you WP and create a new subsite for your protected content. Then use the MultiSite Privacy Plugin to restrict access to it. I think it'd work exaclty as you need!
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/sitewide-privacy-options-for-wordpress-mu/

Hope that helps!

• aristath

Hello again @Arizona Girl, I hope you're well today!

I would like to have a password protected page(s) - where the investor can access information and download pdfs. The investor would enter a username which has already been established for them (I have a list) and a password - they can use the same password.

If you want to use a simple password (without username needed) you don't need a plugin.
    You can use WordPress's default password protection for pages/posts (see attached screenshot)
    If you need more that that simple protection, then the solution @rosh suggested above is what I would also recommend.

btw: I am going to use the Membership plugin with the eNewsletter, if someone can help me with the installation. When I installed it didn't work properly. The newsletter widget would't show an area to enter a name, and it didn't have a checkbox to select a category, it just showed them. In addition, something was masking the url's because links that I had sent to others wouldn't work, so I had to deactive it.

Does the e-newsletter plugin work fine without the membership plugin installed on your site?

Please advise,
    Ari.

P.S. in the future, please avoid packing multiple questions about completely different issues in the same thread. Different issues should be in different threads so that both us and other users can follow them easier.

• Arizona Girl

Hi,

NEWSLETTER and/or MEMBERSHIP PLUGIN:

Sorry - in the future I will post separate questions. Regarding the two that I've already asked, the newsletter part of the plugin works fine, but it's the widget sign-up that I'm having an issue with. It-doesn't allow the viewer to check which category (or categories) they would like to be subscribed to. It shows the categories, but no checkbox.

You can see it hear: http://tinyurl.com/k3jv9ec

As opposed to using the multi-site, I think it might just be better for me to use the Membership plugin and then allow the investors to download certain PDFs if they have the correct username and password.

Could you please help me with the newsletter widget issue, and the setup of the Membership plugin. It was causing me some trouble when I tried. It was masking some urls or something. I

I have granted access, but if other info is needed I can get that to you.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.