How to prevent registration when payment process is incomplete

My client prefers to have nobody in the database who isn't a paid member. It seems to give the unpaid visitor the wrong idea. Is there a way to prevent these unpaid "visitor" registrations period? If not in a setting, with a hack of the code? Or maybe prevent the email from going out if they haven't paid?

If that can't be done, he wants them set as visitor and to know that they have only visitor status and no access to content. Currently they get an email with a password even if they don't pay, so is there a way that email can be made to tell them they don't have full access and need to complete the payment process?

Thanks

• aristath

@ericjt

Hi, I thought I selected Membership when creating this thread.

Thanks for the clarification... I just assigned this post to the Membership plugin.

My client prefers to have nobody in the database who isn't a paid member. It seems to give the unpaid visitor the wrong idea. Is there a way to prevent these unpaid "visitor" registrations period? If not in a setting, with a hack of the code? Or maybe prevent the email from going out if they haven't paid?

I'm afraid that's not possible. The Membership plugin assigns access levels and subscriptions to existing users.
    If someone is not a user on your site, then they can't be assigned a membership.
    So it's essential that they first create an account and then -if they pay- a membership.

If that can't be done, he wants them set as visitor and to know that they have only visitor status and no access to content. Currently they get an email with a password even if they don't pay, so is there a way that email can be made to tell them they don't have full access and need to complete the payment process?

This can't be included in the email.
    However, what you could do is create a new, completely restricted access level.
    Then assign that level to all non-members by changing the "stranger" setting.
    To do that, from your dashboard go to Membership => Options and change the Stranger Settings to the access level you just created.
    As described in that setting,

A "stranger" is a visitor to your website who is either not logged in, or does not have an active membership or subscription to your website.

Then, you can simply add the text you want in the "Protected" page that you're using.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• ericjt

Thanks, that helps some, but not sure I made myself clear.

What I prefer is that if a person does not pay, they are not registered as a user at all. It seems the plugin registers them without a subscription, then tries to collect payment, and if that is successful, it assigns the chosen subscription.

What is the file that the plugin uses to generate the registration email with the password and username? I could insert text there that says something to the effect that if they didn't complete the payment process they have no special membership/access assigned to them and they need to go back and pay. This would at least give them an understanding and prompt them to pay. I could even include some benefit reminder.

On that note, if they are registered without paying and have no subscription, what do they do to pay for the subscription they want? Just login and start the process again? Sounds right.

Thanks.

• aristath

What I prefer is that if a person does not pay, they are not registered as a user at all.

I'm afraid that's not possible.

It seems the plugin registers them without a subscription, then tries to collect payment, and if that is successful, it assigns the chosen subscription.

What actually happens is that WordPress (and not the plugin) registers the user. After the user registration is complete, then the plugin takes over and tries to assign a level. If the user doesn't pay, then no level is assigned and they use the stranger level settings that you've configured in the plugin.

What is the file that the plugin uses to generate the registration email with the password and username?

That email is generated by WordPress core, not this plugin.
    Even if the Membership plugin is not installed on your site, that same email is sent when a new user registers.

On that note, if they are registered without paying and have no subscription, what do they do to pay for the subscription they want? Just login and start the process again?

When using the Membership plugin, anonymous users and users that haven't payed for a membership only have access to the pages you've selected in your stranger level settings.
    If they try to access any other page, they get the "Restricted" page that you can configure from the plugin options again.
    You can simply add the subscription form in that page, so that when they get to a restricted area of your website, they get the form to pay for a level.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.