How to properly use the 'More tag' or another way to show teaser content

I'm trying to figure out how to get the 'More tag' and/or short codes for levels working.

Currently I have about 6 categories to post in. Such as "Sports", "Education", etc. I also have a protected category called "eArticles". If I want to protect a sports article then I just put it in both the category of "eArticles" and "Sports".

Instead of doing this, I'd like to let every protected post have some teaser content, and then make someone be one of our access levels in order to read the full story. I have read about the 'More' tag but I'm not entirely sure how to use it. The manual/youtube videos don't show usage and just putting [more] before the content I want protected doesn't work right. Could someone explain to me the proper way to do this? Please and thank you!

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there @Jacob

I hope you are having a great day!

The "More" tag can be inserted in individual posts wherever you need it by clicking the button in the TinyMCE editor (screenshots).

If you want to insert the tag automatically in your posts, have a play with the Auto-More Tag plugin:
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/auto-more-tag/

Once the more tag is in your content, you can protect everything after the tag in Membership by visiting the Content Protection tab. Scroll down and set "Show content after the More tag" to the default you want. You can also enter a custom message to display to prompt users to upgrade to view your protected content.

Then, in your access levels, drag the "More tag" rule to the positive or negative rules area to either grant or restrict access to content after the tag for users on that level.

By the way, this is the video where it's explained starting at about 1:57
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op8fHjkrj6U&list=PLV1BcivFAIdtF4p7CYVfMbVAJ4JQ1Rpe9

I hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

• Miss Jane
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I know this is an older thread but it's a question I've had too so hope its ok to post on here.

If I have 2 access levels: 1) Registered and free. 2) Paid for Premium member.

I have 2 articles: 1) available to all registered users. 2) premium content for paying users

I use the more tag in both articles to encourage initially people to register and secondly to upgrade to paying membership.

I add a positive more tag rule for both levels in membership. How does the more tag/membership know the difference between them?

Best wishes
    Jane

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.