How to Remove / change Activity | Groups | memberd menu option

I have the BP Daily theme and Buddypress plugin installed. In Buddypress I have the default options in BP set to no page. Still the Activity, Members, Groups menu options show up. Is there a way to have more control on the visibility, naming and positioning of these menu options?

• Mason

Ahh, sorry, I see what you're referring to now.

The top and bottom nav bars are hard-coded at this time. If you want to remove or modify the items we'll have to do it directly in the code. We can provide some assistance in getting you there if you're not afraid to tackle some code and input it in a child theme.

Let me know exactly what you'd like to and I'll give ya hand there.

Thanks!

• Mason

Hiya yvesmk,

Let's take a look then. All those changes can be made within one file in the theme. When we make theme modifications it's important to use a child theme. This way, the parent theme is updated, but our modifications are saved in the child. If this is new to you, all you have to do is take a look at the Daily theme via FTP.

Navigate to wp-content/themes/bp-daily/themes/

You'll see a folder named bp-daily-child. Move or copy this folder to your wp-content/themes/ directory. The end result should look like this:

wp-content/themes/bp-daily/
    wp-content/themes/bp-daily-child/

Now we can activate the child theme and use it on our site.

We now need to copy the file that we wish to modify from the parent theme to the child theme. You'll need to create directories in your child theme in order to do this.

We're going to copy this file to the child theme:
    bp-daily/library/components/buddypress/buddypress-navigation.php

Again, you'll have to create the sub-directories so that the end result is:
    bp-daily-child/library/components/buddypress/buddypress-navigation.php

Whew! Now that we have our child theme with the file in place we can make modifications accordingly. Open the buddy-press-navigation.php file in your child theme. The category menu is handled on lines 1-9. Removing those lines will remove the category menu.

You can change the order or list only specific categories via wp_list_categories on line 4. Read all about how to do this here:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags/wp_list_categories

Lines 11-14 are for the main menu that is configurable within the WordPress admin.

Lines 16-45 contain the elements for the BuddyPress page. If I wanted to remove the Activity link I would remove lines 18-22. Each of the BuddyPress pages are handled by 4 lines of code that, when removed, will also remove them on the front end. The same process would be applied for re-ordering them.

Once you've finished making all your modifications, save the file. Refreshing your homepage should allow you to see the changes.

Hopefully the above helps, if you need anything further, let us know. Thanks!

• aecnu

Greetings yvesmk,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.