How to remove www per Network Setup recommendation

Hi. First, I read the other thread on this subject but really couldn't understand what the instructions were. Shortlink: http://bit.ly/1i93T1A

I've set up only one multisite before, and it was a fresh install of WordPress. This time I'm trying to create a multisite with a domain that already has a live site. Maybe that's why I'm seeing this message during setup: "We recommend you change your site URL to welcometojoseph.com before enabling network."

See attached image.

I tried to change the Site Address and couldn't, and I worry what will happen if I try to change the WordPress Address. Or is this a dumb question and I'm supposed to change it in the line directly below that says "The internet address of your network will be"

I'm on Hostgator and have already setup the wildcard and it's showing up in the Subdomains section as *.welcometojoseph.com

Any instructions to help me move forward will be appreciated :slight_smile:

• Celeste

Hi again Jack,

I changed the Site URL in Settings to http://welcometojoseph.com, clicked "Save Changes," went to Tools/Network Setup, and got the same recommendation message to change the address to welcometojoseph.com.

So then I also changed the WordPress URL in settings to http://welcometojoseph.com. When I clicked "Save Changes," it automatically logged me out, but allowed me back in with my user name and password.

I am now at the Create a Network of WordPress Sites and will click Install. Hopefully everything from this point forward will run smoothly and there won't be any more surprises.

I tried to access the site on another browser and got the redirect loop message. See attached. I'm guessing it's because I haven't finished the Network Setup installation ...?

Thank you very much for helping me with this, and I'll update later.

Kind regards,
    Celeste

• Celeste

Hi again Jack

The sites didn't automatically propagate. I called Hostgator last night to ask why the subdomains hadn't propagated, since it had been 24 hours. He said that sometimes you have to go back into the Cpanel, remove the *.domain.com, and then add it back in again. That's what he did, and within 4 hours the subdomains were viewable online. I'd rather not have to do that.

I am not familiar with A records. I learned to set up a multisite via the Justin Seely course on Lynda.com, and A records were not mentioned. If you could point me to some eduational info about A records on WPMUdev, or if it's something simple you can outline in this thread, that would be great.

Anyway, I'm attaching a screenshot of the .htaccess file.

Thanks for following up :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
    Celeste

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Celeste,

Hope you're well today and thanks for the additional information.

I found this article here on editing DNS records (A records etc) in hostgator installs https://support.hostgator.com/articles/cpanel/how-to-change-dns-zones-mx-cname-and-a-records :slight_smile:

The .htaccess file is correct :slight_smile:

Now the *.domain.com was deleted and re-added are all newly created sites working?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Celeste

Hi, Jack

Sorry for the delay, I somehow overlooked your email in my folder.

Thanks for the link. I read it and looked at the DNS Simple Zone, but left it alone because honestly I don't know what I'm supposed to add. The domain's A and Cname records are basically the same as all the other sites.

Whatever Hostgator did, it worked. The subdomain sites were viewable online within 4 hours.

I began another mutltisite today, and it will be interesting to find out if the subdomain sites propagate within 4 hours, or if I'll have to try the deletion of the domain method.

I do have a related question, though. If you can take a look at the attached image, do you have any idea why the second multisite I created has a dropdown list of sites, and the first multisite I created does not? The sites are listed if I click on Sites, but I'd rather they were in a dropdown list. When I set up the Diamond * subdomain, I only included the home and public html in the Document Root field, and added that in later with the edit function. With the Welcome site, I included the full path at the time I set up the * subdomain. I've highlighted in yellow what was entered for each at time of setup.

KInd regards,
    Celeste

• Celeste

Hey again.

The new multisite subdomains had not propagated as of this morning. I called Hostgator and asked them to fix it, and also asked for instructions on how to do it myself. The customer service rep was extremely helpful in explaining the A record, and where and how to add it. Hopefully, subdomain propagation will not be a problem in the future.

Re the other issue, I looked at the *.diamondaccountants.com DNS record and compared it to the *.welcometojoseph.com DNS record, and there is no difference except in the names of the domains. So I'm still puzzled as to why the dropdown list does not appear for diamondaccountants. If you have any idea why this happened, please advise. I'd like to fix it, if that can be done without affecting the current subdomain sites which already have content.

Kind regards,
    Celeste

• Celeste

Everything is fixed now, except the new multisite also does not have the dropdown list for sites. I really like that feature, and don't know why it's only working for the one multisite and not the others. This multisite was set up exactly the same as the one with the dropdown list, step by step.

I'm attaching an image of how to add the A record for the DNS, in case anyone reads this thread and wants a quick visual reference. I believe it's accurate, based on what Hostgator customer service told me.

Kind regards,
    Celeste

• Celeste

Hi there Jack :slight_smile:

Sorry about the delay in responding.

There is one other issue. If I use Content Copier to copy the Blog page and the posts, they will copy into a new site. However, the posts will not transfer into the Blog page itself. Instead, the only thing that appears is the title of the most recent post. If I add a new post, the image won't appear on the Blog page either, just the title. It's like there's something corrupted in the copying of the Blog page.

The posts did have Featured Images. I put a Recent Posts widget in the sidebar, and selecting a post would take me to the complete post with image(s) and content. I did choose the Settings/Reading option for posts to appear on the Blog page, with it set to display 5 posts.

I can't show you an example now because I deleted the page and the posts and started all over with a new Blog page and new posts, since I had to show the site to a potential client. I'm just wondering if you've heard of this happening and what the solution is, or maybe the Blog page/posts aren't intended to be copied. The regular pages and their content copied into the new site without any problem.

Kind regards,
    Celeste

• Celeste

Hi, Jack

Well, good to know that my situation was/is an anomaly and hopefully won't happen again.

Yes, I assigned Posts to the Blog page in Settings/Reading, created a Blog page, created Posts. That was in the main site. Then I copied the Blog page and the Posts to the subdomain. I assigned the Posts to the Blog page in Settings/Reading in the subdomain.

I should have taken screenshots like I normally do, but I was focused on fixing the page. If it happens again, I'll post another help message and attach screenshots.

I'll mark this thread "Resolved" because the original issue has been resolved.

Thanks!

Kind regards,
    Celeste

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.