How to replace aWeber?

Hello,

I would like, if possible, to quit using aweber (to save money) and achieve similar results using one plugin (or or many).
My site is not muti-site.
What would be your advice or solution on this matter?

Thanks,
Luciano

• Todd Heitner
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Luciano,

I wanted to do the same thing a while back so I thought I'd give you my two cents.

In a nutshell, what I did was switched to MailChimp. If your list isn't too big (under 2,000 subscribers) it's free, which is pretty awesome. If you have more than that but they're on multiple lists you could hypothetically create multiple accounts (I'm not recommending it because I'm not sure if they care but I do have a couple accounts).

Besides being free, there are lots of WordPress plugins that integrate well with MailChimp, including some here at wpmudev, but also popular plugins like Gravity Forms.

I don't have very large lists at the moment and don't send out a lot of e-mails right now so it didn't make sense to pay for a service that's not really making me any money. Down the road if I get things built up and am actually e-mailing my lists and making money from them I wouldn't mind paying something for the service. Their service is good and worth paying for if my list grows, but at the moment my lists aren't worth paying for. :slight_smile: In the meantime, their free service is working great for me.

There are options for managing your own mailing lists / autoresponders on your own site, but you may be aware of Spam-related issues with sending lots of e-mails from your own site. People sometimes forget they signed up or don't really understand what Spam is and mark things as Spam rather than just clicking Delete. Major ISP's take those complaints seriously and can blacklist your site, meaning no one will receive your e-mails. They don't recognize your server as being one that they should be receiving lots of e-mails from and you can potentially have issues. So I prefer using a third-party service to handle the sending of e-mails because they can have people devoted to maintaining good relationships with the major ISP's. The problem is that most services are kind of pricey when you're not sending many e-mails. So that's why I thought MailChimp was a great solution.

Oh, and you can easily import your list into MailChimp without making users jump through any hoops to re-confirm they want to be on your list, etc. Lots of services don't let you import lists or make everyone re-opt in but MailChimp made that process pretty painless. I did a lot of research before making the switch and it really ended up being a good solution.

Coming from Aweber, MailChimp has a little bit of a learning curve. I found MailChimp to be really user-friendly in the signup process but not so much when it comes to setting up my lists and autoresponder / follow-up messages and Thank You pages, etc. I finally figured it out but it took me a little while. However, it was worth putting a little work into learning it to save that money each month.

Anyway, that has worked for me, but your needs may be different. If you have any questions for me I'd be glad to help.

Thanks,
    Todd

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Luciano,

Thank you for the great question.

I use Get Response myself and Todd Heitner's post above is indeed spot on and of course your web host may burn your hosting account as well even for false claims of spam.

Now we are not talking about 20or 30 emails - my list is around 8000+ and even though Get Response knows and has record of the double optin's and there IP addresses, there are members who still claim spam, but Get Response handles them.

Here is a survey that gives you some idea of the ignorance of some people:
    http://www.haleymarketing.com/2009/10/29/is-it-spam/

Even for invalid complaints one can get burned for no reason legitimate reason at all.

I prefer to let someone else deal with it and the legality part and they will be there for my defense if something goes terribly wrong.

Thank you both for being WPMU Dev Community Members!

Cheers, Joe

• lucianoippolito
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thank you for your responses.

I think I will keep using aweber, right now I have 1600 subscribers but plan to reach about 8000 in the next 6 months. The paid structure is very similar between aweber, getresponse and mailchimp so there is not a good reason to change.

Thank you very much for your comments,
    Luciano

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.