How to resize header & register/sign up text?

Hey there,
I'd like to resize the text in my header and the text that instructs people to register. Can you please tell me what page to edit?

• DavidM

Hi tutuology,

Assuming you're referring to the same bit of header text, you'll find that the CSS style in question is:
    #header .description h4{}

And for an example, you could perhaps use the following:

#header .description h4{
    font-size:14px;
    }

And of course, the best place to add this in would be within a child theme. Did you have a child theme setup for the site?

Cheers,
    David

• tutuology

I do not have a child theme setup yet (I'm sort of afraid to be truthful). I see (or read rather) a lot of talk about child themes here on the forum. Normally, I read through threads I have no involvement in...just in (case I can pick up gold nuggets) and I have happened upon a few about child themes. I really don't understand the purpose they serve yet....there's a lot more I need to learn :[.

• DavidM

Child themes serve one purpose basically, to allow you to make changes to a themes that won't be erased when a new version of the theme is released. The following page from the online manuals here explain it in a bit more detail.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-and-buddypress-themes/what-are-parent-and-child-themes/

On a more practical level, you could right now, navigate to Appearance > Editor area in your Network Admin page on your site, and it would take you right to the WordPress theme editor and it would start you off editing the stylesheet (style.css) for the Network theme. You could copy and paste that CSS code I gave above right into that stylesheet, press Save and when you view your site, you would see the header font's size reflected by the change. However, if you ever updated the theme, you would lose that change.

So now we come to the point of the child theme. If you take a look inside the Network theme folder, you'll see another folder called 'themes' and in that folder another folder called 'network-child'. If you copy that 'network-child' folder into your wp-content/themes/ folder on your site, you'll then have another theme in your Network Admin themes list (called 'Network Child)'. If you activate that theme, it would appear as if you were working directly with the Network theme, but any changes you make to it would be retained in the event of an update.

So you could, for instance, copy and paste the code I gave above into network-child\_inc\css\child.css (it's a tiny file sitting in your child theme's folder), and your header font size would reflect that change. And you wouldn't have to worry about updates affecting your change. You could make all sorts of edits to the theme and not have to worry losing the changes.

Ultimately, you can use either method to change your header font size. The first method I mentioned is much easier, but the second method using the child theme would save you from having to constantly edit your theme when updates come out.

Cheers,
    David