How to restrict access to sub-site with pro sites??

Hey everyone,

I recently posted a similar topic, but its' focus was on pro sites and membership integration.

Basically I plan to create a sub-site which will act as the blog. Ex. mysite.com/blog
This way I can create a totally different look.

But the issue I'm having is that I want to only offer access to this sub-site (or blog) to paying users.
I plan to offer 4 levels using Pro Sites.
Level 1 = free (no access to blog)
Level 2,3,4 = paid (access to blog)

Any ideas on how I can restrict access to the blog/sub-site for only paying users?

Preferably a way that wouldn't require users to register a second time. Looking for a user friendly way.

Originally, I was thinking of restricting access by user role. I was focusing on the "if user is an admin of any site on network" then allow access. But free users would also be admins, and I don't want them to have access.

I hope I'm being clear.

So again, any ideas on how to make this happen?

thank you!!!!

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @josh,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

How about creating a custom role for the people that choose just a username and then do what you suggested of restricting the access by role :slight_smile:

That would be the best the way without requiring two registrations :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• josh
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks Jack

Would I just use a plugin like user role editor? And create custome roles?

Second how could I integrate that with pro sites? I would need the roles to be automatically assigned based on what level they choose.
    For the free level I'll have to assign them a role that isn't allowed access to the blog. For all the paid levels I need to assign the role where they do have access to blog.

Not sure how to actually implement it. I think I have the right concept though.

Thanks!

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @josh,

Hope you're well today, thanks for the additional information.

So depending on the Pro site level, they should get a different user role? The user must have admin as a role for this to work.

So in this case something like our membership plugin may be better suited? It could even handle the blog creation, unless you're looking to use thing such as the premium plugis module part of Pro Sites?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.