how to revert to last good working backup?

something happen and it broke our site. i tried to revert to last good working backup but it's not working. how can i do this easily?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Adam,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I think reverting to the last known "good configuration" should work. If it don't it probably means that either the backup wasn't actually that good or there's some other issue (e.g. removed plugins, broken database or modified theme). Could you please elaborate a bit on this:

1) What do you mean by "broken" regarding your site? I mean: what has changed?
    2) Can you recall what changes had been made prior to the site's breaking?
    3) What steps did you take to revert to the "last working backup"?
    4) Did you try to go back further in the past with restoring backups?

Please advise - it will help diagnose the issue.

Regards,
    Adam

• akayden

hi Adam

1) What do you mean by "broken" regarding your site? I mean: what has changed?

ME: i am trying to fix this issue here - https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/error-404-for-any-subpages-under-parent-page-company#post-856663

remove and recreate new Amazon EC2 server, install wordpress and install one plugin at a time. i ran backup before installing another plugin.

2) Can you recall what changes had been made prior to the site's breaking?

ME: able to reproduce error 404 under Company slug after uploading the Portfolio content for Resources page. I'm back to square one with this issue.

3) What steps did you take to revert to the "last working backup"?

ME: Go to Snapshot > All Snapshots > Restore last backup.

4) Did you try to go back further in the past with restoring backups?

ME: Yes, not working too.

I then remove the Amazon EC2, create a new server, install wordpress, install WPMU plugin, install Snapshot Pro, Import backup URL and do a full restore (plugin, theme, DB, user).

My MU site is working fine now with the last good backup. But it took me at least 30 mins to get it back online. If i can revert easily, it would probably take me 5mins.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Adam,

I hope you're doing well today!

I'm sorry it took so long but I had to perform a little research. It's good to know that you've managed to restore your website, however I do agree that is shouldn't take that much time and should be much simpler.

That said, IMHO the issue is related to EC2 rather than the plugin itself. May I know under what OS does your instance operate? Have you tested other WP backup solutions just to check if the same problem appears? Please advise.

Regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.