How to roll back a plugin to its initial stage?

Hi,

I understand when I activate some plugin and play with it for a while all the configurations I made to it are still retain even when I deleted the plugin from the system.

The problem is if I caused any damage to the plugin its not possible to just delete it and start fresh. Like in windows :slight_smile:

What I want to know is, how can I revert back to the plugins original state after I play with it for a while?

Thanks!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Chatura,

How are you today?

Actually, if you deactivate and delete plugin its settings as well as associated data should be also deleted. It doesn't happen sometimes, especially if the plugin itself affects other plugins or content or WordPress settings in such a way that reversing changes could cause some damage.

In most cases though, it does delete settings and data.

The problem is if I caused any damage to the plugin its not possible to just delete it and start fresh. Like in windows :slight_smile:

It shouldn't be this way and usually isn't. Most likely it's because of some kind of error that ocurred while "playing with a plugin" or a plugin conflict.

What I want to know is, how can I revert back to the plugins original state after I play with it for a while?

Standard procedure would be:

- deactivate plugin
    - delete plugin
    - install it again

If deactivation doesn't work, access your site via FTP and change plugin's folder name. This will "soft-deactivate" it and remove from the plugins list. If you change the name back to the original one plugin should be accessible but deactivated and you should be able to delete it.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Adam

• chathura

"Actually, if you deactivate and delete plugin its settings as well as associated data should be also deleted. It doesn't happen sometimes, especially if the plugin itself affects other plugins or content or WordPress settings in such a way that reversing changes could cause some damage. "

I don't think that's the case. Say, If you are going to manually update a plugin you would first delete it and install the new update. This doesn't change or delete previous configuration for the plugin. This is because the configurations are retain in the database.

So my question, is it possible to revert back these database changes so that I can go back to the initial stage of the plugin and start fresh?

• Aicee Taguilaso

Hi chathura,

I'm sorry for the delay here.

You can try executing an sql query in your WP database. Something like:

DELETE FROM wp_options WHERE option_name LIKE ‘_plugin_prefix%’;

Most of the plugins used custom prefix so it will be easy to identify. What plugin do you want to reset so I can check it on my db?

Always make sure to have a backup copy when executing this or any sql queries, just in case anything goes wrong.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Aicee

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.