How to set activity stream as Home page on Blogs MU theme ?

Can anyone tell me how to set the Activity Stream page, with sidebar as my home page on the Blogs MU theme.
When I set it through the settings, it comes up with a 404 error page not found.

I have searched and the only thing I can find is for the default theme and I can't figure out how to make the file edits for Blogs MU using the same method.

While I'm at it, how can I put the sidebar on the right instead of the left?

Any Help?

• eborg9
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Yes, that is the exact article that I was referring to. The instructions and "The Patch" are specific to the default Buddypress theme.
    I need to know how to apply that to the Blogs MU theme and keep it's formatting.

• eborg9

I feel like I am not explaining myself here...I know that I can...I don't know where.

Where exactly am I supposed to add this code so that it keeps the style of the theme?
    I tried it as it is posted and all I got was the activity stream the way it looks on the default theme.
    I want it to look as it does on the Blogs MU theme. The theme that I am using.

I really can't think of any other way to say it.
    The activity page looks like this:
    http://nyblogs.net/activity/
    My home page looks like this
    http://nyblogs.net/

So...below the blue, I would like the activity stream just as it is on the activity page, not a stripped down version just using the loop.

In other words...I want to use the activity stream as my home page...with all of the other home page stuff above it.

• eborg9

Figures. I just spent all day hacking away at the files to find out it was a bug all along and was fixed.
    Thanks for the tip dubya.

Well maybe someone can help with with the last part, how do I move the sidebar from the left to the right?

• Sarah Gooding
    • Flash Drive

I don't have that theme installed anywhere but from checking out the demo, you should be able to reverse the columns with CSS:

Change this entry:
    #post-entry, #content {
    float: right;
    padding-bottom: 35px;
    padding-top: 0px;
    width: 650px;
    }

Try changing the float: right; to float: left;

and then find this entry:

#sidebar .sidebar {
    background: url(http://buddypressthemes.org/wp-content/themes/blogs-mu/_inc/images/sidebar-shade-start.png) no-repeat 100% 0%;
    float: left;
    margin: 0px;
    padding: 0px;
    width: 100%;
    }

and change the float: left; to say float: right; instead. Not sure if that will throw everything off or not :wink: Just give it a try.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@eborg9: It requires the theme to have an update for it to work.

You can do this yourself:

1. Open bp-functions.php find this:

/* Force the page ID as a string to stop the get_posts query from kicking up a fuss. */
    function bp_dtheme_fix_get_posts_on_activity_front() {
    global $wp_query;

if ( !empty($wp_query->query_vars['page_id']) && 'activity' == $wp_query->query_vars['page_id'] )
    $wp_query->query_vars['page_id'] = '"activity"';
    }
    add_action( 'pre_get_posts', 'bp_dtheme_fix_get_posts_on_activity_front' );

2. Right after it add this:

/* WP 3.0 requires there to be a non-null post in the posts array */
    function bp_dtheme_fix_the_posts_on_activity_front( $posts ) {
    global $wp_query;

// NOTE: the double quotes around '"activity"' are thanks to our previous function bp_dtheme_fix_get_posts_on_activity_front()
    if ( empty( $posts ) && !empty( $wp_query->query_vars['page_id'] ) && '"activity"' == $wp_query->query_vars['page_id'] )
    $posts = array( (object) array( 'ID' => 'activity' ) );

return $posts;
    }
    add_filter( 'the_posts', 'bp_dtheme_fix_the_posts_on_activity_front' );

Works for me in testing.

There should be a theme update soon.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.