How to set this stranger level?

I am trying to get products to display on the global product shortcode list but when a person at stranger level tries to checkout I want to restrict access. How do I set it up? I tried stranger level negative rule Marketpress pages> cart but that didn't work.

• aecnu

Greetings Atlanta,

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

I am trying to get products to display on the global product shortcode list but when a person at stranger level tries to checkout I want to restrict access. How do I set it up? I tried stranger level negative rule Marketpress pages> cart but that didn't work.

Thank you for this great question and bringing this significant issue to our attention.

Though I have Membership plugin running successfully on my development server, I have yet to integrate it with Market Press. Your rule sounds right to me but i cannot confirm it for reasons I mentioned.

Therefore I'll see if I can get our resident expert, the lead developer of Membership plugin, in here to assist / give us some advice on how to possibly make this happen.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• Atlanta

Hi Barry.
    Wordpress Multisite 3.3.1
    Marketpress Version 2.1.4

On site domain.com/testm, I am using Membership plugin with 4 membership levels. All have free subscriptions.
    The Stranger level can view Marketpress products that show on domain.com/search using either shortcode or with gridmarket appearance> show global products selected. The Stranger level cannot purchase products, ie the shopping cart will be disabled so they cannot check-out.

I am having a hard time (1) getting the domain.com/testm products to display on the domain.com/search and (2) disabling the shopping cart.

I have repaired membership tables.
    I noticed that domain.com/testm shows 9 users although when I click on members it shows only 2. I can't tell if a deleted user is still affecting results.

Screenshots...

Access levels screen shot for domain.com/testm see image 4
    domain.com/testm positive rules see images 5, 6
    domain.com/testm negative rules see images 7,8
    Edit options testm screen shot image 9
    more images to follow...

• Barry

I am having a hard time (1) getting the domain.com/testm products to display on the domain.com/search and (2) disabling the shopping cart.

Can you explain what trouble you are experiencing (particularly for 1 as you didn't mention this in the initial post). Also, you say you are using multisite - I guess (you don't mention) that you are using sub-directory sites? How have you got membership enabled? Main site / network. Have you set it up for global tables, or are you running it as distinct membership sites?

• Atlanta

Subscriptions screenshot image 10
    Payment gateways image 11

Okay, the results with these settings are that a product added to domain.com/testm is not showing on domain.com/search (the global products). If I fiddle with it (and now I can't remember how I got it to work before) and get the product to display, the Stranger level can still view the shopping cart, add items and make purchases.

How do I set access levels for testm products to display and for a stranger not to be able to make purchases?

Membership plugin Version 2.1.4
    Thanks.

• Atlanta

Can you explain what trouble you are experiencing (particularly for 1 as you didn't mention this in the initial post). I am having a hard time (1) getting the domain.com/testm products to display on the domain.com/search
    If I upload a product to testm image 12
    it doesn't show in domain.com/search even if I use global product shortcodes.

Also, you say you are using multisite - I guess (you don't mention) that you are using sub-directory sites? Shoot, can't remember which one and how to tell difference. I'll send answer over soon.

How have you got membership enabled? Main site / network. Have you set it up for global tables, or are you running it as distinct membership sites? I am running it as distinct membership sites. Each site can approve it's own members. I am 95% sure that I had global tables at one point in time and it didn't work so I left it alone. I think that I asked support if I needed to uninstall and they said it was not necessary. Let me double check my notes on this and shoot them over to make sure that I am not giving the wrong info...

• Barry

Honestly don't know what you mean by not showing on domain.com/search. What is that? A page / site?

I'm guessing this is part of your problem is a marketpress issue, can you start a new thread for that so we can keep the marketpress and membership related parts separate - and it also means our marketpress experts can chime in and get that part of the problem solved :slight_smile:

• Atlanta

Honestly don't know what you mean by not showing on domain.com/search. What is that? A page / site?
    when I say http://domain.com/search I mean a site that is in my multisite set up.
    http://domain.com/ is the main site and http://domain.com/search and http://domain.com/testm are subsites.

Can I use Membership plugin to disable a shopping cart for a stranger level to prevent the stranger from making purchases? Is this possible, if so how?

Thanks.

• Barry

Ok, can you set up a new thread for that part and we'll work on getting marketpress working in that thread and can then concentrate on membership in this one.

Can I use Membership plugin to disable a shopping cart for a stranger level to prevent the stranger from making purchases? Is this possible, if so how?

Yes, though the method depends on how you have the plugin activated, whether you are using global tables and if you are running a sub-domain or sub-directory set up.

If you are running as distinct membership sites, then it's a lot more complex as you will have to duplicate the rules to protect the checkout on each site.

• Barry

I have multi db installed and have wrd3_global in phpmyadmin, is that what you mean by global tables?

No, I mean do you have the Global tables configuration setting set to true in the membership config file?

Membership plugin is auto activated with Pro Sites.

Ok, you haven't mentioned pro-sites at all so far, so this is something new, or new blog templates. So what I'm assuming is that someone signs up with pro-sites, and gets their own membership plugin installed and set up (as you don't know about the global tables config setting we'll assume you aren't using global tables). Now, you can set up membership on the main site, and have it protect the checkout pages on that main domain, but with your current setup it will *not* protect the check out pages on any of your sub-sites as the plugin isn't configured to do that on each sub-site (you'd need to set it up for every sub-site and if they are being created automatically, then that isn't an option for you).

• Atlanta

Okay, one more question on this...
    with my current set up where Membership is being activated automatically as part of pro sites
    when a product is on the global product shortcode list it displays in a thumbnail on GridMarket,
    when a person clicks on the thumbnail image he is taken to the product detail page.
    I understand that I cannot disable the shopping cart, is there any way prevent the visitor from seeing the product detail page without having to manually enter shortcode for protected content on each product page?

• Barry

I understand that I cannot disable the shopping cart, is there any way prevent the visitor from seeing the product detail page without having to manually enter shortcode for protected content on each product page?

If you have the plugin network activated and global tables set to true then yes, you can control that from a single rule on your main configuration. The way you have membership being activated on each individual site and therefore set up as distinct / blank membership system, then no.

The way you have it at the moment.
    1. A user creates a site
    2. New blog templates adds templates to the site
    3. Membership is activated and is a blank membership system for the admin of the new site to administer and set / edit their rules.

At the moment, you are setting rules on the main site, which are being run *only* on the main site. So you can not control access to pages / checkout on your sub sites as they have their own sets of rules (or no rules at all).

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.