How to set up anonymous submit of custom content types

Hi

For the smartvillage.scot site I am using a theme that comes with its own custom content types for Directory entries, Events etc.

I want to set up the ability for non-logged in users to submit these. I tried using WP User Frontend, but it wouldn't recognize them as they aren't Post types.

Any other ideas / options?

thanks, Neil.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Neil McEvoy

I hope you’re well today and thank you for your question!

Do I correctly understand that those are not custom posts? If yes, what are they, how they are created on site – custom fields or some custom code? Let me know, please.

It’s important to know as if they are not custom posts then most of the “front-end posting” plugins will not handle them and you might need either some other “type” of plugin or some custom code for this.

Kind regards,

Adam

• Neil McEvoy
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Adam

They come with the theme – The developer reckoned it would need custom code too.

So I guess they are not specifically Custom Post Types, but are still custom post types if you know what I mean.

Yeah I’m really hoping to avoid the custom code option, can’t afford that right now.

Neil.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Neil McEvoy

Thanks for response.

Would you mind granting me a support access to the site so I could take a look on how that’s done then? it’s a bit difficult to do a “guess work” I’m afraid and hopefully seeing it I’ll be able to get some ideas :slight_smile:

To enable support access, please go to the “WPMU DEV -> Support” page in your site’s back-end and click on “Grant support access” button there, then let me know once it’s done.

I’ll take a closer look and see what I can possibly come up with :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Neil McEvoy

Thanks for enabling access and I’m sorry for keeping you waiting!

I checked the site and those “Directory”, “Events” etc entries are actually regular custom post (posts of custom post types). Furthermore, the front posting plugin that you got installed seems to detect them but I can see that it might be a bit hard to find how to set that up so let me just show you :slight_smile:

Let’s say that you want to create a form for “Directory” entries:

1. in back-end click on “Directory” item in menu on the left and look at the browser address bar

2. you’ll see that URL ends with this: “?post_type=lsvr_listing”; the “lsvr_listing” is your custom post type in this case, meaning that “Directory entires” a post of “lsvr_listing” type.

3. go to “User Frontend -> Post Forms” and click on “Add form”, then select “Post Form”

4. put all the fields that you need on the form

5. switch to the “Settings” tab and then to “Post Settings” there

6. from the “Post Type” drop-down list select “lsvr_listing” option as found in steps 1 and 2 above; save the form

You can now of course tweak other settings of the form but you can also use the form shortcode on any front-end page and it should let your users add “Directory” type entries.

That said, I have already created the form for this particular post type there so you might want to add it to the site and test and configure its fields and other settings but following the same way you should also be able to create forms for your other “entries types”.

Best regards,

Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.