How to set up my 'blog' area to look and work like the WPMU DEV Community?

I removed all the 'blog' pages from my Wiki site as they were causing me grief when changing themes, trying different options, etc.

I need to get my blog set up and would like it to look and run like the WPMU DEV Community pages do, but with my categories. Is there a plugin for this or a theme that WON'T overwrite the theme for my wiki?

And, is there a way to copy all my 80+ wiki categories to the blog or do I have to manually enter all the categories?

Mary :o)

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Mary, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

I need to get my blog set up and would like it to look and run like the WPMU DEV Community pages do, but with my categories.

Could you elaborate on what you're wanting them to look like here? We use a custom theme here at WPMU DEV, with a custom template for the forums.

You could create a custom page template for your categories, so that way they have a different look, but you'd most likely need to hire someone to handle that for you.

In regards to this:

And, is there a way to copy all my 80+ wiki categories to the blog or do I have to manually enter all the categories?

Are you wanting to copy over the wiki entries to your blog, and have them as blog posts? I'm not seeing that there's a bulk way of doing this, but with a combination of the Post Duplicator & Post Type Switcher plugins, that would at least make things somewhat easier.

Please advise,
    Michael

• Mary

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply.

Looks like I didn't explain this very well, as your answers aren't even close to what I 'thought' I was asking. LOL.

Here goes again. I deleted all the pages that were for having a blog. Got my Wiki up and running, so now I have to get the blog set up as well.

I ADDED a new page (NOT a new Wiki), to be the HOME for the blogs. The ONLY category in the blogs was "uncategorized". So I created ONE category, Skydiving. I entered the URL for the BLOG page into the HOME page menu for that item. So now the page I created shows up when I click BLOG from my menu. But it looks just like a Wiki page entry. BUT ALL the Wiki entries show up on the right side of the page - I'm using 2012 theme with a widget for 3 levels of wiki posts on the right side. This is NOT a wiki page. I used ADD PAGE not ADD WIKI.

So why are the WIKI pages showing up on this page?

Assuming there is a way to NOT show all the wiki entries on the page I want to use for blogs, can I copy the exact same CATEGORY names (NOT wiki entries) into the 'blog' area so the users can click a CATEGORY and then post a blog about it?

Also, I don't want the BLOG to look like Wiki entries. I CAN NOT give my users rights to create a PAGE, as I believe they will also have rights to alter my wiki entries (if they can create a page, then it stands to reason that they can EDIT a page.) I want it to look "like" the WPMU DEV Community pages. A main post on the top, and summary replies below it. And a place below all the posts that a user can make their own post. But I also don't want to change my theme if possible.

Now if you are going to tell me I have to either change the theme OR hire someone for custom coding, isn't there a possible third choice? I haven't spent any time looking into 'multisite', but would that work? IF there is a Blog theme that will look 'like' the WPMU DEV Community pages, could I create another site and link them with the URL associated with my HOME page menu item BLOG (I am assuming, here, that this is how 'multisite' works)?

Sure hope I explained it better this time. Please go to my site: works-words.com/NSM-WIKI/WP/wordpress/ and check out what I get when you click the top of the page menu item BLOG. And if I can't get a BLOG theme that looks like WPMU DEV Community, how about one that looks and functions like the blog (forum) at Dropzone.com?

Thanks in advance.

Mary :o)

• Ash

Hello @Mary

Your explanation is still unclear to me :slight_frown:

I have checked your site and went to the BLOG page, it seems a page for skydiving category. All posts of those categories should be shown here, currently there is only one post.

I want it to look "like" the WPMU DEV Community pages. A main post on the top, and summary replies below it. And a place below all the posts that a user can make their own post.

About WPMU community, do you mean a forum? If yes, then you need to use BBPress, the easier one. There is lots of forum plugin out there - SimplePress is one of those. But I would go with bbpress first time.

Multisite won't help you in this case. Multisite will allow your every users to have their own wordpress site within your wordpress installation.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.