How to set up the 2nd domain name on multi site

I set up mulit site on NAOIA.com and Im trying to get my second domain working and installed with mulit site MyInsurancePage.com.

I have Multi-Domains and Domain Mapping installed however im not sure I need Domain Mapping.

Multi Site is new for me so any help is greatly appreciated.

• Vaughan

Hi,

Domain mapping would be the plugin you need.

Have you configured the A record for the domain you want to map & pointed it at your sites IP address (You will need to make sure your site has a dedicated static IP address for this, your host will be able to help with that)

Alternatively, if you park the domain on your server, then simply make sure it points to your sites documentRoot (where wp-config.php resides)

Hope this helps

• Patrick

Hi there @William

I hope you're having a great day!

It depends on how you want to set up the 2nd domain, and what it will be used for.

If you want a subsite in your multisite network to have it's own domain name, then you want to use Domain Mapping. For example:
    subsite.domain.com mapped to mynewsite.com

However, if you want it so that you and/or your users can create subsites in your network under more than one domain name, then you want Multi-Domains. For example, a subsite could be created at either:
    subsite.domain.com or subsite.otherdomain.com

...and they would both be subsites in the same network.

Please do let us know if this helps, and don't hesitate to post again if you need more help with this.

• William

Hi @Vaughan

I just finished working with my host to configured the A record for myinsurancepage.com to point to the ip address for naoia.com. My hosting company said it would take a day or so to propagate. Do I need to do anything else?

Hi @Patrick

I want/have set up NAOIA.com to be the main domain. I want to run myinsurancepage.com on the same multi-site install.

I want users to be able to create personal sites (subdomains) on myinsurancepage.com (example site1.myinsurancepage.com, site2.myinsurancepage.com)

I don't not want users to be able to build sites off the NAOIA extension.

With all that being said, what is my best route to take action on moving forward with this? Im a little lost at this point.

Thanks for all your help and great support!

• Vaughan

Hi,

Ok, from your description, then multidomains would be the plugin you need, not domain mapping.

There isn't much else to do, you need to wait for the domain to finish propogating first.

Then you also need to make sure you have added a wildcard DNS for the domain.

It explains this in the usage guide. https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multi-domains/#usage

You'll know when the domain has propogated fully. when you type in the domain, you should see your main sites homepage, once it does, then you can enter the domain into multi-domains settings and assign it.

Hope this helps

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.