How to set up the 'pay with a like' plugin?

Hi there, could you please help with setting up my 'pay with a like' plugin, I'm new to wordpress and would like to promote my newly published book by giving away the first 9 chapters with the pay with a like plugin, but I can't find any simple instructions on how to do it anywhere on your site or on Youtube, could you also explain to me in simple terms, how the plugin works. Because what I want, for example is a picture of the cover of my novel, a brief blurb about what the story is about, and when people click the like button they get to download the first 9 chapters of my book, please can someone help me, I am frustrated because I don't know how to do code on Wordpress and just want to set up this plugin, thank you kind regards Renee Spyrou

• Tyler Postle

Hey Renee,

I would be more than happy to help you out with this :slight_smile:

I'll also post the usage guide here in-case you want to take a read through that: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pay-with-a-like/#usage It will help you get familiar with the plugin.

Okay, So for your plan here you will need:

1. Set show meta box for pages in your Pay With a Like > Settings. (screenshot attached)

2. Create a new page. Pages > Add new.

3. Enable Pay with a Like via the widget to the right of the edit page box. (screenshot attached).

4. Enter in your content and protect the area where you will link to the 9 chapter preview of your book. (screenshot attached).

Also, you will want to set your social media settings in the Pay with a Like > Social Buttons. Menu. This will determine what social media buttons show up and what doesn't :slight_smile:

For your 9 chapters you will want to put them into a pdf file and upload them into your media files. Then inside your protected content area on your page, have a link to that file. Or a download button that points to that file.

Hope this helps Renee! Let us know if you need any further assistance :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Renee

Hi Tyler,
    Thanks for the instructions, I've followed everything you told me to do and did it, but when I try to test it, the like buttons aren't actually coming up on my page, just the pdf file name that I have placed on the page, people have access to my 9 chapters straight away without pressing the like button which isn't there, I did switch all the admin access buttons off to test it, but it makes no difference, I'm at a loss as to how to rectify this so the like button is displayed, I did also activate the social media buttons, sorry to be a pain could you maybe tell me what I've done wrong, I know it will be something simple, it usually is, I have also read all the instructions from the link you gave me as well, it's got me stumped.
    Cheers Renee

• Tyler Postle

Hey Renee,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for the access :slight_smile:

The "like a random page" option was causing a conflict here. I switched that to "No" - so it will default to liking the page the viewer is on and it works as expected now. Can you take a look yourself and see if it will work on your end now.

Make sure you use the same options in your pay with a like widget as I posted in the screenshot above.

Hope this helps and look forward to your reply Renee!

Have a great rest of your week.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Renee

Hey Tyler,
    I don't know what is happening, but it's still not working, even after you fixed it. are you doing it in the wordpress dashboard or the wpdudev dashboard, or doesn't it make any difference? I feel so stupid. I even went onto another computer to see if it was the one I'm using. When I go onto my website there is the link to my chapters, but no like buttons, what am I missing?
    So sorry for my uselessness, I feel like I've bitten off way too much, it's very frustrating, I can only imagine how frustrating it is for you, you and Jake have been so helpful. I'm at my wits end. Kind Regards Renee

• Tyler Postle

Hey Renee,

Thanks for the quick reply.

So sorry for my uselessness, I feel like I've bitten off way too much, it's very frustrating

Aw, don't say that! We'll get this resolved with you. That's what we're here for :slight_smile:

I made the changes from your WordPress dashboard in the "Pay with a Like" settings. Do you mind sending this up on a page, any page and verifying that it's still not showing the buttons. Then post back with the page it's happening on so I can go in and take a closer look at what exactly could be happening?

This can even be just a brand new test page that you don't have linked anywhere.

I can only imagine how frustrating it is for you, you and Jake have been so helpful.

It's not frustrating at all. in-fact, I enjoy problem solving :slight_smile:

Look forward to your reply!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Renee

Hey Tyler,
    It's working, Yay, thank you so much. I finally worked out what I was doing wrong. On the actual webpage, the settings to the right of the screen as seen in the below example; hadn't been set, I'd been going into the dashboard settings and not the ones on the actual page, what a dolt I am, anyway it's all working now. What a relief, thank you so much for your tireless patience, I guess we learn from our mistakes and remember how to fix them afterwards. So, now if I want people to Like this page I just load the web link of this page to my Facebook and twitter accounts is that correct? Here is the link to that page, http://reneespyrou.com/pay-with-a-like/, if you wanted to check it out. Thanks so much again, you have a great weekend Tyler
    Cheers from Down Under. :wink:

Enabled?

Excerpt Method

Button Container Width

Default: 100%

Alt. URL to Like

If blank current post URL is used

Reload Content

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.