How To Set Up WP Multi-Network and BP Multi-Network

Team WPMU,

I'm looking for someone with some actual hands on experience setting up multi-networks using the WP Multi-Network and BP Multi-Network.

Here is my scenario:

I'm looking at expanding one of my services to be more of an "enterprise" kind of white label system where clients could have a complete network like mine, but separate and brandable to them and their members. I do not want to manage multiple hostings all over the place -- nor do my clients want me to. They want to be able to come to me, tell me what they want, and then they have their own distinct network tailored to their specific needs which is fully supported by us.

IMO, this calls for WP Multi-network and BP Multi-Network plugins so that we can create separate multi-site networks with common systems and architecture that my team can manage at a (relatively) single point.

So, I've installed both plugins -- but their documentation is so sparse, I'm truly unsure what to do beyond initial setup.

For example, how do I create a sub-network? I am currently set up for subdomains (yoursite.mynetwork.com) do I need to change this (I see a lot of examples with a subfolder arrangement). Can I go to the "Add Network" screen and create a new network on the fly? How would the subdomains be organized?

Regarding BP Multi-Network the only documentation exists that if you have already enabled BP on a separate network, you have to go into the database and scrub it out. I have not yet set up a BP install on any sub-network -- so, if starting from scratch, how does one go about doing it?

Any and all help appreciated

Thanks,
Rob

• Tyler Postle

Hey Rob,

Hope you're doing well today!

I'm not too familiar with Multi-network setup myself; however, you are correct in that you will need those plugins to set it up.

For BuddyPress I found these steps here:

• Create your second WP network with Networks+ / WP Multi Network
    • Activate BP on the sub network and go through the installation wizard
    • For forums you need to tweak your bb-config.php a bit (this only applies to those using the BP Group Forums option)

So you should be able to just activate it on your sub network now since it wasn't already activated.

Those steps I found from a user on the BuddyPress forums here: https://buddypress.org/support/topic/resolved-setting-up-bp-multi-network/

What I would do first is create a test multisite and set them both up and mess around with them, so I don't have to worry about ruining anything :slight_smile: then once I'm comfortable with both plugins I would install them on the live site.

Sorry, I know you were looking for someone more experienced with this setup; however, we don't have too many staff on during the weekends. Perhaps some multi-network experienced members could chime in here and provide some tips too :slight_smile:

If you have any further questions let us know Rob!

All the best,
    Tyler

• jetmac

Hey, Tyler, I appreciate the response.

The crux of the problem here is -- "How do I create a subnetwork"?

I know that sounds ridiculous, but it really does come down to that. The documentation is, literally, non-existent for either of these two plugins. I do not know how to create a network given the plugin, it's readme, support forums, github page, or anything.

I'm about to hit up Boone and JJJ directly and tell them WTF, but considering they just fixed so many issues in BP, I am reluctant to jump on their case. I was hoping that someone here at WPMU had used at least one of these plugins before and could provide some basic instructions.

Rob

• Tyler Postle

Hey Jetmac,

Hope you're doing well today!

You're right, there isn't much documentation on it, that would actually be a great idea for a future blog post :slight_smile: I'll pass that onto our writers. As for creating the subnetwork, once you have it set up then you will be able to create a subnetwork similar to how you would create a subsite in a normal Multisite install, except the fields will be a little bit different.

Hope this helps! Apologies for the delay, you might already have it all setup by now :p

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.