[how to] show the login page in a popup ?

Hello world,

Few months back, I was working on another site and instead of linking to "wp-login.php" from the header menu, I added something in the "CSS Classes (optional)" and it showed the "login | signup" in a nice popup in the middle of the page.

I want to reproduce that with my current theme and don't find the way ... perhaps you can help !?! I already contacted support@mytheme but it lead nowhere a few messages later :slight_smile:

I've veen told : "You should make Sidebar (login_sideber) then put the login widget inside. Add " Widgetised Sidebar" element to your page via Visual Composer, within modalbox."

- I did created a new sidebar
- I did put the login widget inside it
- And I do understand the "add shortcode of ModalBox to the menu"

But when they say : "Add Widgetised Sidebar element to your page" = I'm wondering which page ? to discover that : I should make regular login page, built with Visual Composer, and add login widget via Visual Composer. Then I can make a link from menu to this page...

So, the remaining question is : How do I create such a page ?
There is already one ... (/wp-login.php?action=register?)
But I don't know where it's located .. to check the code or shortcode into it.
... What is normally included on this page ???

Thanks for any tip you may have !

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Steven, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

I'm not sure that I quite follow the logic that your theme company provided, regarding the setting up of a popup login form, it sounds like they interpreted your question to mean that the form was to be inserted onto the page itself...

However, your question does remind me of another thread here on the forums, that I provided a popup registration solution for, which can be adapted to provide a popup login solution.

With the help of the zM Ajax Login & Register plugin, and our PopUp Pro plugin, here's how I'd go about setting things up:

After installing the zM Ajax Login & Register & PopUp Pro plugins, you'll want to make sure that inside of:

PopUp -> Settings

That the "JavaScript Events" condition is enabled, we'll need this in the next step. You'll also want to set the loading method to "WordPress AJAX", if it isn't set to that already.

As for the creating of the popup, you'll want to do the following:

- Insert the [ajax_login] shortcode into the content area of the popup, as that's what will generate our registration form.
    - In the "Behavior" section, make sure that the "Appear when user clicks on a CSS selector", and that the CSS class you entered for your menu item in "CSS Classes (optional)" is entered into that box (if you haven't already given your menu item a CSS class, please do so now, and then enter the class into this field).

Make sure to check the "Repeated" box there as well.

- In the "Form submit" section, make sure that "Refresh PopUp or close (default)" is selected.
    - Finally, in the "Displaying Conditions (optional)" section, make sure that the "Visitor is not logged in" condition is enabled.

Once you've done all this, and have enabled your popup, you should now have a fully functional popup login form that'll show up when you click your menu item. :slight_smile:

Let me know if this helps please! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Steven,

Sure thing, here's a test site of mine you can check out:

http://dev7.codeweasel.net/

You'll want to click on the "Login Menu Item", that'll display the login popup. :slight_smile:

In the process of setting up this quick test site though, I also discovered another method you may wish to check out. Inside your site's Dashboard, if you go to:

Settings -> AJAX Login & Register

You'll notice that in the "Advanced Usage" section, there's a box there called "Login Handle". If instead of taking the path I laid out for using PopUp Pro, you were to insert the CSS class for your menu item into that box instead, that would achieve a similar result. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Steven,

3 messages above - You said : "- In the "Behavior" section, make sure that"
    And you lost me there ... What/where is this "behavior" ?

I've pointed out this area in my first screenshot below.

And 1 message above - You said : "You'll notice that in the "Advanced Usage" section"
    I don't see this ... There's no such thing on : ?page=ajax-login-register-settings

Odd, it's showing up for me, check out the 2nd screenshot attached here.

Please advise,
    Michael