How to? Site English/Arabic text on same page, search and map link to photos, spreadsheet import.

Hi
I've been asked to produce a site that's basically a series of photos accessible either by clicking on an aerial map photo or by entering English or Arabic text in a search box and then be taken to possible result options and/or the photos with small text info.

I'm being given a spreadsheet of photo names and their English and Arabic equivalent translations. Site needs to be simple and device responsive. There will be up to about 1,000 photos/entries listed in the spreadsheet. There is an idea that users may be able to upload their own images to add to the collection and/or add comments in either language to build info on the photos.

Site does not want to be two language versions of same site, both languages on same page, same search destination, same comments section and/or ability to add more photos/info.

Does anyone have any ideas on how best and simply to achieve this? Sight does not need to be any more complex than as specified. Adding of photos by users is optional.

Any suggestions for theme, slideshow handling, text handling, search in dual language, importing spreadsheet into database and linking to photos? Would Upfront work with English and Arabic on same page (L2R R2L) or any other theme?

Many thanks for anyone's thoughts.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello MrArtist,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Since the site doesn't have to be "multi-language" site as in "having a language switcher and separate content in different languages" I think this shouldn't require any special tools. There's however a potential issue, that is the fact that you will need to use both LR an RL languages on the very same pages.

I think even the built-in WP editor may not support that well. Theme shouldn't be too much of the problem here in my opinion by it may turn out to be necessary to copy/paste content into WP editor instead of writing it directly there.

As for sliders/images. Could you elaborate a bit on how this should work for you?

Best regards,
    Adam

• MrArtist

Hi Adam
    Thanks for the response.

From what I understand, I shouldn't have too much trouble with the font I use so long as it's any standard font that is utf8 encoded and has the full English/Arabic character set (e.g. Arial) - in previous DTP (print) projects I've worked on I have successfully imported Arabic wording (without corruption or missing characters) from word processor documents where utf8 fonts have been used.

I suppose, with a utf8 text search, it's not even important what the actual language used is for a search, so long as that sequence of characters can be searched and found.

It's the LR/RL on the same page in WP that's worrying me. Themes such as ENFOLD claim to handle both RL/LR (http://themeforest.net/item/enfold-responsive-multipurpose-theme/4519990), but I have no idea if this can be on the same page easily within WP (but perhaps I should ask Enfold creators as well).

What I'd really like is to avoid copying and pasting hundreds of spreadsheet entries into WP posts/pages, instead to automate in WP as much as possible the spreadsheet cell entries into WP database as easily as possible, perhaps even auto-linking the associated photograph that is listed in the spreadsheet rather than manually use media manager to place the image into each page, slideshow or whatever I use to display the results.

For the slideshow/images/presentation of the resulting search query, it's really up to me how this will actually work and be displayed. The site's client has asked if a map showing where some houses/homes/villages used to be at any one of about 20 locations, but there are potentially hundreds of images/properties/settlements/buildings.

I am still trying to think of a neat and simple way to do this. Ideally Arabic and English written family names or locations could be entered into a single search box and then a nice graphical/image result shown with hopefully an English and Arabic text/captioned result on showing on the same resulting page.

An option for users/viewers to add further info, images, comments or captions would add to the appeal of the site, building it into a resource of a lost and forgotten time.

I'm hoping some ready-made solution from WPMUDEV will handle some of these things. Not a lot of money of complexity for the job, more of a gift to a lost and forgotten 19th-20th century community. I'm sure this sort of thing should be fairly easy in WP, however I'm a bit lost as to how. Just trying to contemplate the best plugins/theme/options/spreadsheet of data import.

Many thanks.
    MrArtist

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello MrArtist!

From what I understand, I shouldn't have too much trouble with the font I use so long as it's any standard font that is utf8 encoded and has the full English/Arabic character set (e.g. Arial) - in previous DTP (print) projects I've worked on I have successfully imported Arabic wording (without corruption or missing characters) from word processor documents where utf8 fonts have been used.

Yes, as long as character encoding supports special characters of the language, you should be good to go with it.

I suppose, with a utf8 text search, it's not even important what the actual language used is for a search, so long as that sequence of characters can be searched and found.

You're absolutely right here.

It's the LR/RL on the same page in WP that's worrying me. Themes such as ENFOLD claim to handle both RL/LR (http://themeforest.net/item/enfold-responsive-multipurpose-theme/4519990), but I have no idea if this can be on the same page easily within WP (but perhaps I should ask Enfold creators as well).

I must say that I have never tried that and I do not speak any RTL language so it could be quite difficult for me :slight_smile: The theme itself shouldn't pose any troubles though except the fact the content may become quite "messy". The issue here is that although such a theme may be able to handle RL/LR languages the CSS rules are probably a bit different for both and I suspect the theme must either be "switched" to RL/LR langauge or is fetching language data from WP settings and based on this loading proper stylesheets. As a result, it may be necessary to create a child theme and adjust CSS to "clean up" layout.

What I'd really like is to avoid copying and pasting hundreds of spreadsheet entries into WP posts/pages, instead to automate in WP as much as possible the spreadsheet cell entries into WP database as easily as possible, perhaps even auto-linking the associated photograph that is listed in the spreadsheet rather than manually use media manager to place the image into each page, slideshow or whatever I use to display the results.

That's understandable :slight_smile: I'm afraid though that this would require a custom solution. I think you'd need a custom developed "import" plugin that would be able to read your spreadsheets and then post its contents to the site.

For the slideshow/images/presentation of the resulting search query, it's really up to me how this will actually work and be displayed. The site's client has asked if a map showing where some houses/homes/villages used to be at any one of about 20 locations, but there are potentially hundreds of images/properties/settlements/buildings.

This sounds to me like another customized solution would be necessary here. There's a lot of slideshow plugins and I think most of them should handle both RL/LR languages (though handling them both at once would probably again need some additional CSS) but the kind of the data and the fact this would be "mixed" make it much more complex case.

I am still trying to think of a neat and simple way to do this. Ideally Arabic and English written family names or locations could be entered into a single search box and then a nice graphical/image result shown with hopefully an English and Arabic text/captioned result on showing on the same resulting page.

This shouldn't be the issue as long as both Arabic and English content is on the same page. WP search would find this content I think.

An option for users/viewers to add further info, images, comments or captions would add to the appeal of the site, building it into a resource of a lost and forgotten time.

I think BuddyPress with x-profile fields and probably some additional plugins allowing "front-posting" and media upload would do the trick but again, I admit I'm absolutely not sure how would it behave in case of both languages being used at once.

I'm hoping some ready-made solution from WPMUDEV will handle some of these things. Not a lot of money of complexity for the job, more of a gift to a lost and forgotten 19th-20th century community. I'm sure this sort of thing should be fairly easy in WP, however I'm a bit lost as to how. Just trying to contemplate the best plugins/theme/options/spreadsheet of data import.

As for theme and WordPress itself, this shouldn't be a problem. Some CSS styling may be necessary but I think it isn't anything you couldn't handle (with our help if necessary). Search would be the same case.

As for slideshow/presentation. I'd start with one of a few most popular slideshow plugins and see how it handles such scenario. As I mentioned, I never tried this but it's possible that again only some CSS tweaks would be necessary.

As for importing from spreadsheets. You could try exporting data to a CSV files and then giving this plugin a try:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-ultimate-csv-importer/

As for giving users a way to upload/post content. I'd try plugins described here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/wordpress-post-frontend-plugins/

All of these however turns out to be much more complex than I though at the beginning and I think it may be necessary to put in some custom development work apart from aforementioned CSS adjustments. I'd however suggest setting up a staging/development site and then going a "step by step" way with the setup.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.