How to Slow down slider in Blogs-MU Theme?

Is there a way to slow down the slider speed in Blogs-MU theme? I do not have it set for that at the moment because of the speed but I would like to.

I did a search of the forums and found a couple of posts relating to other themes and slowing down their sliders but it seems from those the script could be written in different ways in each theme.

So is there a way and can someone point me in the right direction and also give directions on what to do?

Much appreciated
Sue

• SusanHope
    • Flash Drive

Now have another question on this theme (have searched, can't find anything) thought I might as well add it to this thread.

I am trying to upload images now to the 6 Featured Image areas on the home page - in the service options area and of course I want the images to look good, I firebugged the images you have as default and went off and made some sample images the same size but the cropping mechanism seems to work differently each time I upload.

What is the optimum size that those images need to be on upload?

Thanks
    Sue

• SusanHope
    • Flash Drive

So I take it there is no answer to either of my questions - it kind of would be nice for someone to have answered, even if it was to say - "no can't be done, leave us alone" or "the answer is already somewhere on the forum, go find it lazybones" lol - just something.. my first question was asked a good while ago as well so I don't believe I am being impatient but please do correct me if I am wrong.. as I say, it would be nice to get some kind of response so I can know to just move on and not keep waiting, I will go and look for some other solutions.

Sue

• dapadoo
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

@SusanHope

I use bogs-mu but not the slider. I did a quick search for you and this is what I found.

Open blogs-mu/_inc/js/jquery.nivo.slider.js

Toward the bottom of the file increase 500 on the line "animSpeed:500" If you upgrade to any newer version of Blogs-mu you'll have to change it again. You can also decrease the pause time if you'd like. Let me know if it helped. BTW, Keep notes!

//Default settings
    $.fn.nivoSlider.defaults = {
    effect:'random',
    slices:15,
    animSpeed:500,
    pauseTime:3000,
    startSlide:0,
    directionNav:true,
    directionNavHide:true,
    controlNav:true,
    controlNavThumbs:false,
    controlNavThumbsFromRel:false,
    controlNavThumbsSearch:'.jpg',
    controlNavThumbsReplace:'_thumb.jpg',
    keyboardNav:true,
    pauseOnHover:true,
    manualAdvance:false,
    captionOpacity:0.8,
    beforeChange: function(){},
    afterChange: function(){},
    slideshowEnd: function(){},
    lastSlide: function(){},
    afterLoad: function(){}
    };

$.fn._reverse = [].reverse;

• SusanHope
    • Flash Drive

Thanks so much for your help, I did a search too before asking but didn't come up with that one :slight_smile: - I will keep notes (always do that lol) - I will try this out tomorrow and report back, hopefully perhaps someone will have had time to help with the other question.

Sue

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Sue,

My sincere apologies for having completely missed this thread. We do try and cover every single thread here but this one seems to have slipped right under our radar.

I'm going to check with our theme designers on the slider timer. We'll get right back with you on that one.

But the 6 images you were referencing on the homepage, are by default derived from blogs-mu\_inc\images\default.jpg . And that file's dimensions are 360 x 164. So while the theme should automatically account for image size, I believe you'll find the optimal resolution would be that 360 x 164.

Cheers,
    David

• SusanHope
    • Flash Drive

Thanks David for answering and I do understand about threads getting missed, I used to moderate on a forum a few years ago :slight_smile:

I have not had the time this weekend to try the ideas out but will report back if I have any problems.

As for the image sizes, for some reason my firebug investigation picked the images up as 300x164 so no wonder they were not loading so well into it all, I will try the new size tomorrow.

Thanks
    Sue

• SusanHope
    • Flash Drive

I have had a chance now to edit the slider - it doesn't appear to have made a difference, however I notice there are two files:

blogs-mu/_inc/js/jquery.nivo.slider.js
    blogs-mu/_inc/js/jquery.nivo.slider.pack.js

The one I edited is the top one as suggested but I opened the other one as well and although wirtten differently the "animSpeed:500" is present in both and of course I have not edited the second "pack" one..

Should I edit both for it to take effect?

Thanks
    Sue

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

hi sue
    no need to edit the js for that...just open blogs-mu/header.php and go to line around 116+
    and similiar code

<script type="text/javascript">
    jQuery.noConflict();
    var $je = jQuery;
     $je(window).load(function() {
            $je('#slider').nivoSlider();
        });
    </script>

edit them to

<script type="text/javascript">
    jQuery.noConflict();
    var $je = jQuery;
    $je(window).load(function() {
        $je('#slider').nivoSlider({
            effect:'random', //Specify sets like: 'fold,fade,sliceDown'
            slices:15, //how many animated slice
            animSpeed:500, //Slide transition speed
            pauseTime:3000, //pause time
        });
    });
    </script>

you edit the variable accrodingly...for more info check here

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.