Anyone Got a Link that Uses CustomPress with Custom Styling?

Hi, I've been testing CustomPress and it seems like a great tool but as a non-coder I'm trying to figure out the best way to style it on the front end. Not knowing any better, I started out hard coding the styles in the custom post template I created. However, I noticed in your tutorial (see screenshot) you are using div and span.

Can you talk more about what you did and how you did it? Did you create new classes and include them in your styles sheet? I'm looking for more code and CSS examples so I can try to replicate what you've done.

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey Mark,

That was me who did that.

I didn't create any new classes. I just used the default styles that came with the theme. I was using the Twenty Ten theme.

The best way for you to proceed I think is to take advantage of the existing styles and themes on your theme. If hope you have Firefox installed. There is an amazing plugin called Firebug for forefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firebug/

Open up a page on your site. Right click the element whose style you wish to copy. From the right click menu select "Inspect with Firebug"

Now firebug console opens up, you can see the style associated with the element there. You can copy those into your theme along with the custom press embed codes and you will see them styled exactly the same :slight_smile:

Right click the item you want and select "Edit HTML". Now you can see the html and copy the styles from that into your theme.

You can even edit the html there and see the changes live on your site. Of course, they happen in your browser, so nothing is saved anywhere.

See the screenshot attached. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

• Mark
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Arun,

Thanks for the response. I have used Firebug from time to time for styling but laughably I've never used the Edit HTML function. Thanks for the tip.. I will close this topic and start playing around with this now.

Cheers,
    Mark

• Mark
    • The Incredible Code Injector

That's kind of you to offer, Arun. I'm really just looking for a live site where I can examine the HTML on a Custompress entry page which has been styled. But don't go out of your way! If it's a bother, don't worry about it. (Though maybe it would be useful for other newbies such as myself.)

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Mark,

Just bringing this ticket forward to ask any members out there if they have a custom press page you can look at that they have styled so that you can see how it is done - though your title to this ticket is quite good and I would think you would have gotten a response by now.

Anyone out there have a custom press page styled for mark to look at?

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Mark,

It seems that nobody out there is volunteering their site for you to be able to check out the structure.

Both Arun and I have tried to get some input here for you but to no avail.

I will let it ride one more time then if we do not get any response it is time to put the kill on the ticket.

Cheers, Joe

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey mark77210,

We are starting to put together a demo site for all the plugins, its still in the pre-primary stage, once that is up, I will let you know!

Since the original question has been answered, let me mark this as resolved for now?

Adding this to my fav's so that I will know when I have the demo site up for you :slight_smile:

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey Mark,

I regret doing the documentation on a local install now, should have done it on a live test install. Anyways, this (and requests from some other users) have raised interest to create a demo site for all our plugins and themes. You can expect something like that soon :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.