How to turn off compression for a file?

I'm still having issues with some icons not rendering, and have narrowed it to some of the files being compressed, that I'd like to turn off. I've been playing with the settings and files, but there's one thing I haven't been able to figure out.

For the files that say 'This file is already compressed', how can I turn off compression, and revert it back to the original file (without turning off Hummingbird)?

• Ash

Hello Jeremy

HB can decompress those files which is compressed by the HB itself. For example, if your plugin contains an already compressed/minified file, then HB can't decompress that file.

Please note that, HB doesn't make any change to the file, when it compresses and keep the reference on the system and load from there. So, in the asses optimization when you see the message "This file is already compressed" - that means, that plugin or theme already included that file as a compressed file and you can't decompress that file.

Hope it explains a bit :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Ash

Hello Jeremy

As I mentioned, HB has nothing to do with the already compressed files. HB can't either re-compress or decompress that file.

What you can do is, take the file and manually decompress using any service like: https://beautifier.io/

It will give you a decompressed version of the compressed code. Then you need to replace with that code in the compressed file. But note that, if you follow this way, then when you will update your plugin or theme (which provides that js file), the changes will be lost. You can also ask the plugin/theme author to provide a decompressed version and ask how you can use that.

Hope it helps! Have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Ash

• Jeremy

I'm not sure I'm experienced enough or equipped with the technical know-how to follow that right now, or that it would resolve this issue, but I have found out a couple things to be helpful.

1. There's another cache option in the top WordPress menu from the host for this site (FatCow), next to the Hummingbird Pro menu item.

2. I found there's another cache to clear besides the ones in the top menu within WordPress (not connected or cleared by that one), on the HB Dashboard page. Can make all the difference!

3. I've also heard that there may be a feature enhancement in the works to resolve this? That'll probably save tons of troubleshooting!

After being confused and going back & forth on at least a couple websites, I now know about the different caches to clear, and found that to clear my confusion for now, and thought I'd share. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.