How to uninstall Multi-DB?

How would I go about uninstalling Multi-DB? I am currently running it with W3 Total Cache and due to their incompatibility, I would like to uninstall Multi-DB and roll back to one database.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey romanempiredesign.

I would tend to agree with aecnu on this one and use Donncha's cache as well. I have used it plugin since release, it seemed logical with it being him developing WPMU. I've never used W3 myself, do you feel it performs better than Super Cache?

With regards to compatibility, what issues were you having? If there is a thread then please post me a link.

Phil, thanks for the speedy response. Is there an easy way to do this?

Sadly I don't think because the data is spread across databases. I suppose a script could be built to handle your requirements but its not something currently available that I know of at least.

• romanempiredesign

Thanks for the replies and advice guys but I much prefer W3 Total Cache to Super Cache because it has a lot more options and allows me to use CDN which speeds up my websites a lot more which means a higher google page speed score. Unfortunately SuperCache doesn't supply all the options I need for caching when it comes to SEO.

Therefore I'd rather keep w3 total cache and uninstall multi-db in hopes that either of the plugins will become compatible with each other. It's sad that they're not because all the solution would entail is making the db.php file a different name from either programs so that they do not overwrite each other.

I was just hoping that there was an easier way to uninstall this because it has kind of been a nightmare of a plugin for me so far. One of my sites became completely unusable because of this conflict and I had to spend an entire day restoring the site without Multi-DB. Don't get me wrong, I love what Multi-DB and W3 Total Cache both do, but for me right now, the caching is more important than being able to support 50,000+ blogs.

• Timothy Bowers

I much prefer W3 Total Cache to Super Cache because it has a lot more options and allows me to use CDN which speeds up my websites a lot more which means a higher google page speed score. Unfortunately SuperCache doesn't supply all the options I need for caching when it comes to SEO.

Super Cache has CDN, not sure what other options W3 has?

Therefore I'd rather keep w3 total cache and uninstall multi-db in hopes that either of the plugins will become compatible with each other. It's sad that they're not because all the solution would entail is making the db.php file a different name from either programs so that they do not overwrite each other.

Ah, so they both use the same file name?

Would it not be possible for you to compile the file contents together or are there some kind of code conflicts?

I was just hoping that there was an easier way to uninstall this because it has kind of been a nightmare of a plugin for me so far. One of my sites became completely unusable because of this conflict and I had to spend an entire day restoring the site without Multi-DB. Don't get me wrong, I love what Multi-DB and W3 Total Cache both do, but for me right now, the caching is more important than being able to support 50,000+ blogs.

I understand, I'll ping the developer on this to see if he has any thoughts.

• romanempiredesign

Tim,

Specifically I like the CloudFlare integration of W3 Total Cache. It speeds up websites beautifully. As far as I know, Super Cache does not have this integration. And last time I checked, Super Cache didn't support CDN at all, which may have changed now.

The conflict between the plugins comes in because W3 Total Cache writes a db.php file in the same location as Multi-DB, effectively overwriting the multi-db file. For some reason, everything works fine with the overwrite until you try to remove W3 Total Cache and then everything breaks.

If one of these developers would just change the name of the db.php file they would get along just fine. I don't have the coding experience to do this, or the time. It's more efficient for me to just not use Multi-DB.

• Barry

Would it not be possible for you to compile the file contents together or are there some kind of code conflicts

No, unfortunately. W3 has an annoying habit of overwriting the db.php file with it's own version.

When I do this, I will update the thread with step by step instructions on how this is done so that it may help other members in the future (hopefully). Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the support!

Export all databases to sqldump files. Run all dump files on the global database creating all the tables in a single db. Ensure the db settings in wp-config point to the global db. Delete the db.php file.

• Barry

The conflict between the plugins comes in because W3 Total Cache writes a db.php file in the same location as Multi-DB, effectively overwriting the multi-db file. For some reason, everything works fine with the overwrite until you try to remove W3 Total Cache and then everything breaks.

This suggests that your system has actually been running on a single db, which is set up in your wp-config and not multi db at all. The overwrite of db.php by w3 removes all multi-db access, so it should have stopped working at the point you activated it.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.