how to update plugin

Hey all,

I've looked everywhere and can't find directions on how to update from 2.4 to 2.6 of the membership plugin.

I tried installing the latest version with and without deactivating the 2.4 plugin, neither worked.

Finally, I deleted 2.4 and did a clean install on 2.6.

Is this the appropriate/best way to upgrade? If now, can you point me to directions or let me know what to do next time?

Thanks
Amy

• Eric G.
    • The Crimson Coder

@AmyBrucker

Yes, that plugin mentioned is awesome and the first recommendation.

Otherwise I think you followed the typical steps. I, out of laziness, just try to override the versions, when there is issues I delete and do a clean install.

Of course if it comes from Wordpress.org you can also do the auto updates from the Dashboard as well.

WPMU.org also recently put a great article out on autoupdating at:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/think-twice-before-you-upgrade-that-wordpress-plugin/

• AmyBrucker
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks guys. I already have Update Notifications installed. As far as I can tell, that simply informs us when there is a new version available. It does not actually update the plugins.

I was wondering very specifically about how to update WP Membership 2.4 to 2.6.
    There was no auto-update option like with WP plugins. I had to deactivate and delete 2.4 and do a clean install with 2.6, but it worked. It retained all of my member levels. I assume this is the standard way to update.

• Eric G.
    • The Crimson Coder

@Amy,

I do not believe there are any plugins that update automatically. When there is an update available, the update notifcations plugin will give you a button to quick auto-update it. The only thing you have to do is click on auto-update. They do this because it requires your permission to install files and also you typically will want to test it somewhere else before you allow it to update.

You may be experiencing a different side of it if you are using older versions of these plugins that were not yet written to work with the update notifications plugin. Once you update to the latest though, it will have the auto-update button available when an update is available.

Attached a screenshot of how the auto-update looks.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Thanks to Eric and rozanighani for helping here!

You should be able to upgrade through the dashboard most of the time with our products here. If not, the best way to avoid errors with any upgrade in WordPress is to delete the plugin files and upload a fresh copy.

Thanks again everyone!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.