How to upload images/videos to new site Media folder, resized/Smushed

I'm a little lost. I have a little about 110 images and 10 videos to upload to site; most are for galleries of a previous event. I'm not clear about how best to upload them in bulk units so I can use them without having to do it individually. Smush is set to automatic on upload. I have zipped the images and videos into 6 folders of from 25MB to 98MB (the first one was the bigger one, and I opted to go smaller). Most of the gallery images are original ones from the photographer (5184x3456 and generally about 2.5-3.5MB each; Videos-14.6-93.7MB).

What procedures are recommended for handling these processes?

Thank you.

• Dimitris

Hey there Kelvin,

hope you're doing good and thanks for reaching us! :slight_smile:

First of all, you should resize your images, preferably before upload them in your website, based on the actual web design. So, if an image is going to be used as a 1920*1080px image for example, you should resize it to these dimensions. There're many programs that can help you do this, my personal favorite image tool is GIMP. The same process should be used for your videos too, cutting down their file size as low as possible. For that, you should use some kind of video converter.

After doing that, you should ensure that your server can handle the upload process. For that, please follow the instructions as shown here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/increase-memory-limit/

upload_max_filesize and post_max_size should be set to the larger file that you're going to upload, memory_limit can be set to 256M or 512M, while max_execution_time can be set to 0 which is equal to infinite.

When all these are set, you should be able to upload your files via Media library. Files shouldn't be compressed at all, but the actual media files like .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .mp4 etc. should be uploaded.

Another alternative could be to upload your files via FTP. This will result that won't be shown in Media library and Smush won't trigger though. You can surpass this using the Media from FTP plugin and bulk smush your images after having your media imported to Media library. :wink:

Hope that was some help, feel free to post back here if more assistance is required!
    Take care,
    Dimitris

• Kelvin

Ok. Thank you for your suggestions. However, I was under the impression that there was a toggle that allowed WP Smush Pro to re-size the images though the limit setting on upload. Having to resize them individually, is not that inspiring.

Thank you for suggesting GIMP. I haven't used it in years and need to decipher the coding required in order to figure out if it can do the bulk resizing or otherwise help speed up the process.

Thanks for any additional, helpful input.

Kelvin

• Dimitris

Hey there Kelvin,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

Smush can shrink file size but isn't resizing or cropping the actual size(=dimensions) of images.
    By having images in the exact dimensions of their containers will reduce file size to the minimum after uploading (and smushing), while it will be an additional plus for your SEO as site speed matters. Here's an article from our blog that covers all that in great extend:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/image-optimization-guide/

Considering GIMP, there's a batch image manipulation plugin available for downloading here:
    http://registry.gimp.org/node/26259 (Mac version includes this already)

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.