How to use an existing static front page with Upfront theme?

Hi,
I really like the Spirit theme and want to use it for my site, but when I have it activated it looks like the "front page" is not any actual existing page. Eg when I look at the list of site pages, the static front page is generally tagged with "front page" but that tag is not showing at all with Spirit active. Can you advise any further on this?

Thanks,
Richard

• Bojan Radonic
    • Head of Support

Hey there Richard,

How are you doing today?

I can totally understand how this can be confusing as by "default" with more regular themes "your latest posts" will display your blog posts on the home page.

Spirit actually has page template that is being used in this case which is why you can't actually find it in "Pages" in admin. You can still use Static page in Settings -> Reading and set another page as your home page. If you do that you'll see that the page is actually marked as "front page" in your admin.

Hope this makes sense and please let me know if you have additional questions :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Bojan

• stretchr
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks Bojan for your reply.

The confusing issue is that the theme resets the home page to "your latest posts". I always use a static home page for my sites, and is one of the first things I choose. Yours is the first theme I've used that changes it when activated.
    And being set as a static page then makes the theme useless, as I cannot make a home page like the default Spirit home page as there's no page template for it.

• Bojan Radonic
    • Head of Support

Hey again Richard,

Yes you're right, Upfront does switch to "Your Latest Posts" once you switch to one of the child themes so it can use the template that is designed for home page along with the default content that you can see there.

Is there any specific reason why you'd want that page visible in your admin? You can still switch to "static page" and create the same look by using Upfront elements and by adding regions to it.

Best regards,
    Bojan

• stretchr

Hi Bojan,

No I don't want the "blog page" visible in admin. But my problem is, how do I create the same look? I can't add a nice big image area above the nav menu like the default page has, not when it's a static page. Unless there's something I'm totally missing. I should be able to use that same layout whether my front page is static, or uses blog posts.

• Bojan Radonic
    • Head of Support

Hey again @stretchr,

You definitely can, what you need to do is add new region above the menu region by clicking on the "Edit Background" in the top right corner and then click on the + button create a region above, see screenshot.

Once you do that click on Edit Background for the new region and simply add background image to it.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Bojan

• stretchr

Hi Bojan,

That's what I would have expected to be able to do, but when I click "Edit Background" for the menu region on my site, I don't get any of the + buttons. Is there some other configuration change I need to make to get them? And what page template are you assigning to the "home" page?

Cheers,
    Richard

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.