how to use functions in my theme

Hi, I’m traying to create a custom template, but i can’t understand how to use the functions in template-function.php

So, what i’m doing by now its copy and paste the function that i need to my function.php file, then, rename that function and make the change that i need.

Is this ok?

is there any manual or tutorial?

I read the Themeing_MarketPress.txt file so please dont tell me i have to read this file.

Also i download a marketpress template, but i don’t know if i’m doing the right way.

Tks in advance

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings andrescas4,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

There is no set way to address the functions file, the possibilities are endless.

But the biggest question of all is what you are doing working for you?

It is indeed what I would do –> not reinventing the wheel but copying it where I need it.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Geoutah
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I’ve used 2 particularly good guides for this:

Smashing WordPress Themes by Thord Daniel Hedengren &

Wordpress for Dummie’s All in One by Lisa Sabin Wilson et al.

These dedicate lots of space to this topic and I found them super helpful.

• Geoutah
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

The WordPress Bible has some useful info but the version I’ve got is outdated. I used Lynda.com and OSTraining as useful resources. I Google most of my questions and get decent answers, that’s how I ended up here…..

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings andrescas4 and Geoutah,

@Geoutah thank you for sharing those often forgotten valuable resources.

@andrescas4 for the most part Market Press does not have a technical manual or road map to it per say, but the scripting itself I have been told is well documented within.

Thank you both for being WPMU Dev Community Members!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.