How to use In Post Ads ads outside of posts

I like how In Post Ads works, but I am wondering how I can use the same plugin to display ads in sidebars or in post-loop-excerpts (like to the right of the sidebar in EduClean theme). Or just anywhere other than "in post" ads.

I don't want to have a dozen ads to manage and then have to duplicate them within another plugin/CPT. That's why I'm asking.

Thank you.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Clifford,

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

Thanks for bringing this up, it certainly sounds like a useful customization to the plugin.

Unfortunately, it is not currently available - but we would love to put it into consideration for future development.

Therefore I will move this ticket to feature requests and alert the lead developer of the request.

It might take a bit longer than useful but I'll see if I can get the lead developer in here to assist / give us some advice... in the meantime if you could post the results / problems you've come across doing it yourself here that would definitely help too.

Alternatively, you could see if there's a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Clifford,

Thank you for your additional input, it is greatly appreciated.

So there's not another 'ads' plugin from WPMU DEV to consider?

Absolutely there are, it is as simple as going to the Plugins menu you choice at the top of the page and type in ads in the search box.

From there it is amazingly simple that you can see, search, and check out the features of any plugin available from WPMU Dev!

In the moment it took me to search the plugins using the search keyword "ads" I found there are a couple of options, but unfortunately they are before and after the post ads.

However, we do have this in as a feature request and the lead developer has been notified.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Clifford,

I am 110% with you and in total agreement on this subject:

So I look forward to an update or new plugin to serve additional display areas.

You certainly have my +1

Though I have made this a feature request for this particular plugin, for a new plugin the request would best be served here:

http://wpmudev.uservoice.com/

The more popular a request is and the more votes it gets, the more likely it will be considered.

It might have already been suggested. It is worth a quick search to add your votes before submitting a new suggestion.

Though submission there for a new plugin in no way, shape or form diminishes the validity of our current feature request in regards to this plugin :slight_smile:

Thank you again for your valuable input.

Cheers, Joe

• Clifford P
    • The Bug Hunter

I'd prefer it be added to this plugin, so I didn't make a uservoice request. But it's called 'in post ads', which is why I thought maybe WPMU DEV would want to make a separate plugin. If you do make it separate (not ideal, but acceptable), you should make it as an add-on or integration with 'in post ads' so that the same ad content can be used in multiple places around the site.

One way I envision it is like an add-on within the 'in post ads' plugin (if not just adding it to the core plugin, which would be great), like the 'easy blogging' plugin.

Also, I imagine you could have something like this: http://screencast.com/t/FSQza11cBr
    You could use shortcodes to specifically output ad 1 v1, ad1 v2, ad1 v3.
    You could say, if v2 is empty, use v1; if v3 is empty, use v2, whatever. You could also say "let plugin figure out the best display size and orientation (portrait or landscape) -- in shortcode terms, something like [ad1 version="auto"] or just [ad1] or whatever.
    You could have a 'disable this group' checkbox, especially for something like this: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/integrate-directory-with-in-post-ads
    Hope that helps flesh out the idea a bit.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Clifford,

Wow! Thank you so much for the clarity and detailed effort you put into the last post.

That will certainly give the lead developer/coder a road map to making this a killer plugin and killer addition thereof.

I admit I did not put near as much thought into this though I did think of widgets and shortcodes.

Cheers, Joe

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

Displaying ads in this way is possible with the latest plugin release (v1.4, just released), via do_shortcode and the new "forced" attribute. For an example, something like this will work in a theme template:

<?php echo do_shortcode('[wdca_ad id="204" forced="yes" ]'); ?>

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.