How to use Jetpack contact form with Pop Overs

So Pop Up installed on a pretty clean 3.5.2 site, (iThemes Builder), style manager and backup buddy, Jet pack and pods 2. I wanted to use Jetpack Contact form, in my pop overs, but all it showed when the form should be was [contact-form] everything else was just not showing....

Have reverted to a mail chimp setting, but it is not where I want to be!

• TrueHammer
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Done....

http://www.inspired-events.org.uk/ (currently just a test site)

[contact-form][contact-field label='First Name' type='text' required='1'/][contact-field label='Second Name' type='text'/][contact-field label='e-mail address' type='email'/][contact-field label='Please send occasional news' type='checkbox'/][/contact-form]

We don't spam, nor share your details - ever!

<h2 style="text-align: center;">Sign up for Newsletter</h2>
    [contact-form][contact-field label='First Name' type='text' required='1'/][contact-field label='Second Name' type='text'/][contact-field label='e-mail address' type='email'/][contact-field label='Please send occasional news' type='checkbox'/][/contact-form]
    <p style="text-align: center;"><span style="color: #0000ff;">We don't spam, nor share your details - ever!</span></p>

& JetPack is connected!

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello again @TrueHammer,
    I was able to reproduce this and I have notified @Barry, the plugin developer about this.
    I can confirm that the contact for jetpack doesn't display on the pop-over plugin.
    Hopefully his insights will help us resolve this!

Please keep in mind though that plugin developers have lots of responsibilities so this might take a bit longer than a normal ticket.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

header/footer addon

Ok, that's to debug a theme issue.

There are three different loading methods available with the plugin, each works differently and are there to allow the widest range of compatibility with plugins.

Are you seeing the same response with all the loading methods?

• TrueHammer

Page Footer:

External Load:

[contact-form]

Custom Load:

[contact-form]

So Footer was slightly different, but none work!

• TrueHammer

BTW, there are 5 related requests on this for the pop over to include short codes going back the best part of a year. Many of those posts have not really been answered! Clearly it is something that a number of people are asking for....

Jetpack contact form not working
    Forms in Pop Over
    Add Contact Form to Pop Overs Plugin
    Add a Contact Form to Pop Up! Plugin
    I wish to add a Contadt Form in Poup up but it doesnt show form

Rather disappointing - in effect forcing me to use another service :slight_frown: ..... or fund an alternative pop over/up/slide in.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

BTW, there are 5 related requests on this for the pop over to include short codes going back the best part of a year.

The plugin processes shortcodes and has done for a long while. Unfortunately some plugins only register their shortcodes in certain places. If you read a few of the threads then you will see that switching the loading method in a lot of cases sorted the issue out.

E.g. Gravity forms used to only register it's shortcode in the front end of the site, so you had to use the Footer loading method, not the external method - which caused issues if you had caching installed (hence the building and inclusion of the custom loading method - specifically to get around issues with other plugins and their shortcodes).

Contact Form 7 only loads and processes it's shortcode in the front end of the site as well.

We can display a pop up, and process any shortcodes in it, but can't control other plugins and when they register / process their shortcodes unfortunately. We can, however, investigate when plugins are reported to not work and see if we can work out why / whether there is an easy fix to the plugin to get it to work correctly in a pop up.

• TrueHammer

Well that is certainly good to hear - the related topics didn't report any of that!

Perhaps a note on the settings page explaining that would help some of the frustrations saying of shortcode doesn't work this could be the reason.... etc

somehow I would have thought shortcodes from wordpress (even the dot com) would be a focus of ensuring work ......

Look forward to hearing the outcome.....

• TrueHammer

@Barry last week ....."I'm half-way there - I have the form displaying when loaded with the External or Custom methods without any code changes needed - just working on processing the form submission now. "

Any progress with the form submission????

Cheers

• TrueHammer

Is there any chance of some follow up here? I don't know if I am expecting too much from my membership, but I feel like I am being ignored here!

Given the related topics:

Jetpack contact form not working
    Forms in Pop Over
    Add Contact Form to Pop Overs Plugin
    Add a Contact Form to Pop Up! Plugin
    I wish to add a Contact Form in Popup up but it doesn't show form

I suggest that other do too!

This was over a month ago:

Staff Barry

I'm half-way there - I have the form displaying when loaded with the External or Custom methods without any code changes needed - just working on processing the form submission now.

........ Is the submission form going to happen? Will the pop over support forms other than from autoresponders?

Someone please talk....

• TrueHammer

Understand... lol!!!

Nope no difference (however the form didn't even display as appeared to have been resolved in the 1/2 fix) - ie there is no improvement from the original problem.

However, in the mean time I have had my own plugin written that can do the job) - not quite as it is intended to be used and a bit clunky..... However it is not designed to do what pop over does and it seems a little odd that pop over doesn't appear to be able to capture e-mail addresses to use with your newsletter plugin, without using third part auto responder programmes.

To that end I again have to ask about expectations within my membership fee. I don't feel what I am looking for your plugins to do is unreasonable - and clearly the related topics list shows that many others feel the same over a long period of time. Yet the issue remains and is apparently being ignored unless I make "complaints"

It therefore appears that there is a lack of joined up thinking/development across your range of plugins, I am therefore concerned about value for money from my subscription. Please explain how this is not the case!

• basicus
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I can confirm TrueHammers thinking, and I'm sure we are not alone.

Value for money is an issue you should take very seriously. I am absolutely not sure I will renew next time around, because there are to much hanging in the air with how the plugins don't play with each other.

I thought by subscribing to one pool of plugins, I would at least be guaranteed that the plugins would play well together and be developed with one set of rules as of how they are made and tested before released.

I have had issues with Pay With A Like that was never solved, and developer denies there is anything wrong, so I simply gave up on it.

Other plugins we are using, can be replaced with others as we have already done with a few.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @TrueHammer

I hope you are well today, while unfortunately I don't have any good news at the moment.

I've just been testing this with another one of our developers and while we can replicate, currently we can't find a fix, we're awaiting to hear from Barry, I've just sent him an email.

I apologize about the extreme delay on this and thank you for your continued patience.

@basicus, sorry to hear you've also been having issues here,

I have had issues with Pay With A Like that was never solved, and developer denies there is anything wrong, so I simply gave up on it.

I have checked your account and can see one Pay with A like issue, that is marked as resolved, bu the developer never posted on the thread, is that still an issue, or is there another open issue with it I've missed? Please advise, I'd love to get any issues resolved for you.

Thank you both!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @basicus,

If this is still an open issue that you don't have a support ticket for, can you please create a new one? This way we can keep this issue separate and avoid redirecting the original thread.

@TrueHammer,

I've conferred with @Barry about this, and he's confirmed that this is going to require an update to the plugin. Unfortunately this isn't something we can provide a quick code fix for. To explain the issue: Shortcodes can be used in the popup, but there isn't a straightforward way to accept POST requests from forms within the pop up.

Best regards,

• TrueHammer

@Alexander, thanks for a definitive update on the problem. My concern remain value for money in that it has taken the best part of two months to get this answer, two months when I have either been waiting or researching a plugin that works - neither options do I consider to be value for money form my membership. Overall I feel I have largely been ignored here and only by constantly nagging have I had any response - NOT GOOD ENOUGH! As I understand it my membership includes support and I haven't, IMHO, had it..... (I accept the plugin doesn't work the way I want it to (albeit I see the lack of POST support a significant business shortcoming - though not technical) - but taking 2 months of me nagging to find out is not what I feel I should have to do for my membership!)

To that extent, I wonder if the "owners" will be prepared to come on here and justify that with at least 5 threads asking for this facility for the best part of 18 months how this is VfM.

Then explain if, how and when this update will get written/released, so that I can decide if I wait, go elsewhere and or cancel membership

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hey @TrueHammer,

I wanted to update you here about the state of this plugin. I'm sorry we missed your last posts. It's actually been assigned to a new developer, which has helped with new releases.

Version 4.5 has been updated to include many improvements both under the hood with how the plugin operates, and includes many new features.

Take care

• TrueHammer

@Alexander, thanks for the update - in the last 4 months have moved on and now use gravity forms rather than jet pack - but this has taken so long I am not sure I can even remember the site I was testing it on!

Same applies to most things - using WP stuff that has a responsive support team, but I do appreciate your coming back here to give me an update.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.