How to Use Product Code Driven Navigation

Hello - I am hoping you can provide some advice on how best to achieve this for a new client of ours. On their homepage, the client wants a text field box where their customer can enter a product code, such as 1-1000, 1001-2000, etc. These Product Codes will stamped on the physical product they produce itself. When the site visitor puts the Product Code in, it will send them to an page on the website which tells that Product's story. So for example, Products 1-1000 may all link to http://www.client.com/Story-A while Products 1001-2000 all link to http://www.client.com/Story-B.

In your opinion what would be the best way to do this?

Thanks and regards,

Adrian

• Adrian

Hi Patrick,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. A quick question - Is it possible to have a range of product codes apply for a particular product post? For example, Product Post A would possess the custom fields for product codes 1-1000, Product Post B would have product codes for 1001-2000, and so on.

Or is it only possible for each Product Post possess a single product code, such as product post A has "1", Product Post B has "2". Or am I missing something completely here, and the "Product Posts" refer to something else? As I understand it, a "Product Post" refers to the "Story Page" the customer will navigate to after entering in a Product Code?

Perhaps a little context will help. The client produces handbags, backpacks, etc. using recycled plastic imported from Haiti. They would like a physical product code to come with each backpack, handbag, etc. So for example, I buy a backpack that has the product code 275, I go to their website, plugin in that product code, and I am taken to a page that describes the story of the Haitain workers who work at the recylcing plant and how their lives have improved with the opportunity to have a good paying job. Since many hundreds of backpacks will come from the same plant, they'd like all those backpacks to go to the same story page. Whereas, the hundreds of handbags made at a different plant in a different part of the country, they'd like to go to a different story page.

Thank you for your continued assistance. Most appreciated!

• Patrick

Hi again @Adrian

Yep, context always helps. :slight_smile:

My original idea wouldn't be practical in this scenario. It really doesn't even apply, as I thought you would be creating a separate page for each product. That's not the case at all though, is it?

This may actually be a much easier alternative: how about simply adding custom links to a menu with those pre-defined ranges as menu labels. Then link each menu item to the corresponding story page. For example:

Top-menu = Select your product code
    sub-menu = 1 - 1000
    sub-menu = 1001 - 2000
    sub-menu = 2001 - 3000

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.