How to use the MU-Plugins folder

How do I use the mu-plugins folder? I moved two plugins to test the process but when I did, they were deactivated and not visible in the dashboard menu items.

I read the mu-plugins folder is for plugins that you do not want deactivated or modified by anyone on the multisite. But I, as super-admin need access. I like that they are not an item in the dashboard menu for subsites so that is not a problem.

I also read that I may have to hack the plugin a bit to make it mu-plugin ready since most are written for wp-content/plugins. But then each time they are updated, I’ll have to go back and recode again. Don’t want to add that task to my days work, it could be daunting.

I'm using ProSites and have these plugins set to “Anyone” but some are ones that I don't want there to be a menu item at all, I want it to be global. Should I set the setting to “None” instead? Will the plugins be available to me and not to the rest of the users. That way I could leave them in the plugins folder and not need to hack the code to make mu-plugins work. Does this sound correct? I got a little confused reading bc some of the posts were older before changes were made but I don’t know what does or does not apply.

Thanks for your help – Jan ?

• Mike

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your post!

Any plugins in the mu-plugins folder must not be in folders, they have to just be a PHP file, so if your plugins were in folders this would explain the problem you are having with them not being visible.

If you have plugins in the mu-plugins folder they will never be shown to your client sites so that shouldn't be a problem.

As for the question about ProSites, I don't think removing access won't mean that the plugin is always enabled, it will just mean that clients cannot disable plugins.

This might be where network activate comes in handy though.

I hope this helps, if you have any more questions, please ask away :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Mike

• Jan

Thanks @MIke for your quick reply,

That is good information and very helpful. A few more questions concerning moving plugins to the mu-plugins folder.

1. So I empty all of the plugin folder contents into the mu-plugins folder including class, css, images, js, languages folders or do I take the contents from those folders and empty into the mu-plugins folders too?

2. Will these plugins still show up in the dashboard for updating?

3. Is there a benefit to moving plugins to mu-plugins over just using Network Activate and setting them to None in ProSites? Or do I set them to Anyone in ProSites?

Thanks again for your help - Jan

• Mike

Hi @Jan

Thanks for replying.

1. So I empty all of the plugin folder contents into the mu-plugins folder including class, css, images, js, languages folders or do I take the contents from those folders and empty into the mu-plugins folders too?

No definitely not.

2. Will these plugins still show up in the dashboard for updating?

No because they will have been customised

3. Is there a benefit to moving plugins to mu-plugins over just using Network Activate and setting them to None in ProSites? Or do I set them to Anyone in ProSites?

If you are using premium plugins in Pro Sites and do a Nework Active or use MU-Plugins, then everyone will get them without the need to upgrade.

I hope that all makes sense, here's a link to the Codex if you need more info http://codex.wordpress.org/Must_Use_Plugins

Cheers,
    Mike

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.