How to use WHMCS MU Provisioning with Multi-Site

Hi,

I think partially answered my own question through testing...but I'm going to ask just to be sure.

Am I correct in my understanding that when using the Multi-Domain plugin, ALL sites created, regardless of which domain they are assigned to, are part of the same network?

So if I had:

wpnetworkA.com and domainB.com where domainB.com was added to wpnetworkA.com using Multi-Domain then:

* domainB.com is not actually a wp network but rather just a domain pointed to wpnetworkA.com; and

* if a user registered mysite.DomainB.com then the site would actually "reside" on and be a part of wpnetworkA.com (and have all wpnetworkA.com's features, IP, plugins, etc...)

* 'mysite' would be listed as mysite.DomainB.com under 'sites' on wpnetworkA.com

If that's the case, it raises another question...

Is there a way to use WHMCS MU Provisioning and Multi-Domain in conjunction to actually deploy sites on different networks? (ie: mysite.networkA.com or mysite.networkB.com), where each 'network' really was a stand alone wpmu installation?

I'm trying to figure out how I can best leverage these to let users select from multiple different networks at sign-up (each with private nameservers, dedicated IPs, Domain Mapping...and having features and plugins specific to a niche/vertical market).

I'm thinking that I may be over-complicating this by trying to integrate everything, and the way to do it may be either:

A) within WHMCS by creating a different Group for each network - which would give me a sign-up page specific to each network (niche/vertical market); or

B) ditch the multiple network idea and use Multi-Domains to do it on a single network (then use New Blog Templates to configure niche/vertical specific sites).

I would greatly appreciate any feedback and if someone could validate or clarify my understanding.

Thanks!

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

Am I correct in my understanding that when using the Multi-Domain plugin, ALL sites created, regardless of which domain they are assigned to, are part of the same network?

Yes, Multi Domain simply lets you offer sites within the same network but with a different domain.

Is there a way to use WHMCS MU Provisioning and Multi-Domain in conjunction to actually deploy sites on different networks? (ie: mysite.networkA.com or mysite.networkB.com), where each 'network' really was a stand alone wpmu installation?

Sure, add more servers aka WP installs.

I'm trying to figure out how I can best leverage these to let users select from multiple different networks at sign-up (each with private nameservers, dedicated IPs, Domain Mapping...and having features and plugins specific to a niche/vertical market).

If you want them to have their own NS, IP then separate network installs would be a good option here. Just remember you can't move members/sites from one install to another by default.

a. If that works for you then multiple networks is an option.

b. You could do it this way also, then let them select their domain to use.

I'd personally give it a shot on one single multisite install myself but ultimately this is your choice to make. Some would argue that having multiple networks on different VPS or similar would ensure if one network server goes down then others remain up.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.