How to use/set hard disk of Linux for Multi-Site

Hello,
I am building a multi-site at the moment on CentOS 6.5. I have a question with regard to growing size of data.
1. Which parts in Wordpress are the biggest hard disk consumer, the database(MySQL) or the wp-content folder(I created upload folder in it)?
2. What's the best solution/best practices for such storage problem?

As I am a rookie in Linux and Wordpress, I may need more detailed guidance. Sorry for that and thanks in advance!

Regards
YZ

• Rupok

Hi Yudong, hope you had a wonderful day.

Which parts in Wordpress are the biggest hard disk consumer

Usually the "wp-content" folder as you have your "uploads" folder inside it.

What's the best solution/best practices for such storage problem?

Well, it totally depends on how you are planning to use your site. If you allow your users to upload and stream videos from your server, then storage will become an issue soon. So you can disable audio/video uploading on your server. We have a blog on this: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/restrict-wordpress-users-from-uploading-audio-video-media-file-types/ It's a bit old though, but you can try this on your staging server first.

You can smush your images with our "Smush Pro" plugin. If you have lots of images on your server, this will really help. You can remove old backups from your server, or take backups at a different location other than your server. You can totally disable uploads by users (it will seriously save your space, but users might not be very happy with it).

But at the end of the day, if you have 5 million users on your 100 MB hosting, there's actually no way other that increasing storage.

Please let us know if you have any confusion. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.