htacces chmod uploading wih BP avatar

HI Guys

When im trying to upload a avatar

i will get this error (i replaced the domains with xxxxxxx)

Warning: is_dir() [function.is-dir]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/twine/:disappointed:tmp:disappointed:var/tmp:disappointed:usr/local/lib/php/) in /home/twine/domains/xxxxx.com/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2060

Warning: file_exists() [function.file-exists]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/twine/:disappointed:tmp:disappointed:var/tmp:disappointed:usr/local/lib/php/) in /home/twine/domains/xxxxxx.com/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2051

Warning: is_dir() [function.is-dir]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/twine/:disappointed:tmp:disappointed:var/tmp:disappointed:usr/local/lib/php/) in /home/twine/domains/xxxxxx.com/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2060

Upload Failed! Error was: Unable to create directory /avatars/6. Is its parent directory writable by the server?

.htacces

# BEGIN WordPress
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# uploaded files
RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$2 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
RewriteRule ^ - [L]
RewriteRule ^[_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
RewriteRule ^[_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/(.*\.php)$ $1 [L]
RewriteRule . index.php [L]
# END WordPress

Its a subdirectory instal

My hosting provider says its no chmod problem but a htacces issue

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya,

Are you able to look at the permissions for the files and folders in your install using an FTP client, or a file manager within your hosting control panel?

If so, take a look at the permissions and the "owner/group" for your wp-content folder.

The "open_basedir restriction" is actually set in httpd.conf which is a web server setting, not a .htaccess thing in your case.

Essentially, it means the web server doesn't think BuddyPress has permission to upload files where it wants to. Obviously, this isn't right.

Phil

• studio8c
    • Flash Drive

He is now telling that he won't let me do this:

The "open_basedir restriction" is actually set in httpd.conf which is a web server setting, not a .htaccess thing in your case.

Essentially, it means the web server doesn't think BuddyPress has permission to upload files where it wants to. Obviously, this isn't right

Becaue where on a shared server and wp can act like a ftp client ... bla bla bla

or do you have a workaround to fix the uploading problem may be only by me as a admin ?

So the best solution for now is to rent a dedicated server, because my customer also wants a download directory in the BP install where all trainees need acces to all course materials and all the teachers need to upload that aswell.

Is there a nice wpmudev pluggin to create the download area.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Okay, first off, none of the rules in that .htaccess are interfering with your ability to upload file so I don't know why your host is saying that.

There is an issue with the owner/group settings on your server. Essentially, your user account is able to create folders but PHP is using a different user account that doesn't have that access.

It sounds like your only option is to move to a more usable host, yes. It doesn't have to be dedicated but it should be able to support WordPress well. Our own sister service WP.MU is worth a look.

For document upload within BuddyPress you could use something like BP Group Documents.

Cheers,
    Phil

• studio8c
    • Flash Drive

Hi Phil,

Thanks Group Documents is what i was looking for.
    i'm asking him again to look into it.

I noticed today that new content that I added text and an image only visible in the admin role
    when i log out of the site there not displayed. is this also linkt to the group settings.

The hosting i will look in to that aswell.

Thanks Phil

• studio8c
    • Flash Drive

Hi Phil,

I just did a quick test.

same server only a clean signle WP+BP install and there i can upload.
    So i think its in that user account (owner/group settings) that are broken.
    That's the only explanation i have.

So I have to wait for his response

Cheers

Dennis

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.