HTML Gzip compression is not working but deflate module is enabled on the server

I’ve installed Hummingbird on my site and I’m getting this error message as per HTML Gzip compression, but the deflate module is currently active on the server (I have other sites installed on it on which I run HB with no errors):

Gzip is not working properly:
- Your server may not have the "deflate" module enabled (mod_deflate for Apache, ngx_http_gzip_module for NGINX).
- Contact your host. If deflate is enabled, ask why all .htaccess or nginx.conf compression rules are not being applied.
If re-checking and restarting does not resolve, please check with your host or open a support ticket with us.

  • Kasia Swiderska

    Hello Bill,

    Can you please ask your hosting provider to make sure that PHP is configured to support zlib library and that zlib output support is enabled; there's a php.ini setting for this that should be set to "on":
    zlib.output_compression = On

    On some servers, even with deflate module enabled, gzip will not work without this line in php.ini

    If they confirm that it is set to on but still not working could you please send in the following via our secure contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question :

    - Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Kasia Swiderska
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress network admin access details (login address, username & password) for staging site
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password) for staging site
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

    IMPORTANT: Please make sure you select "I have a different question" for your topic, so it doesn't go back to the forums - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

    Please confirm here that you send those credentials

    kind regards,
    Kasia

  • Waldbär

    Maybe the problem is already solved, but there are still users with the same probs.
    I have fixed the html - compression / deflate prob by "try and error".
    After long tests with htaccess, google sessions and some tickets to my hoster, it was a stupid one.
    For me it was an activated Maintenance / Comming soon plugin.
    After switching off, Hummigbird was able to perform the gzip - compression in all three disciplines easily.
    Maybe it works for others!