HTTP 500 ERROR

My website has stopped functioning partly. I'm getting HTTP 500 error or Internal Server Error. The homepage is online but internal pages show the error message or photos are not loading. I cannot log in to the site. It started with wordfence giving me a warning that two plugin updates contained malware but warned that might be a false reading. I deleted the flagged file on the first plugin and then the white screen came up. The plugin was W3 total cache.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Peter,

W3TC is most likely the culprit here as that plugin is known for not being "easy" to remove by just removing the plugin files from your server.
    It will still leave some leftover files outside of the plugins folder that need plugin files to run properly and when those files are missing it will throw a fatal error (500 error).

Try following this guide to make sure that all of the leftovers are gone and that should do the trick:
    https://www.wpmyweb.com/how-to/completely-uninstall-w3-total-cache-plugin-updated.html

If you're still seeing 500 error after that you should check debug log to see where the error is coming from.
    You can enable debug log in your wp-config.php file (located in root WP folder) by replacing define('WP_DEBUG', false); with this code:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

// Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set( 'log_errors', 1 );
    @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

Visit the site so it shows 500 error and this should create debug.log file in your wp-content folder that could tell us what is going on.
    You can save it as .txt file and attach it here so we can check it out.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.