HTTPS issues - site not working at all over SSL

My site is not working at all over SSL, even though the configuration is identical to other sites on the same server that do work fine. I have a UCC SSL certificate with my host GoDaddy, so the URL must be www. The plain HTTP URLs resolve just fine though. Can you please help?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello smartchoiceweb,

I hope you're well today!

I have run some tests on your site and I must say I'm getting very "mixed" results. The site works fine over insecure (http:// prefixed) connection and there's a proper redirect to "www" as well.

However, over SSL unexpected things are happening:

- in most cases (I'd say 9 out of 10 attempts) the site does not load at all, regardless whether it's prefixed with "www" or not and it returns the "ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH" error

- very rarely the site loads just fine in Chrome over SSL if it's "www"-prefixed but sometimes it loads as "insecure" (by this I mean "mixed content" errors); in Firefox - if it does load at all it always loads for me this way (insecure);

- furthermore, sometimes the site seems to actually reload itself "on its own" and... load fine while it was loaded "broken".

I admit that this is very unusual behavior. The error that I'm getting suggests that there is actually a problem with a certificate. All the external tests that I run on a cert failed. However, they all go through the TLS handshake, indicating TLS 1.2 which is fine. The other reason for such error would be RC4 support enabled (RC4 is a kind of stream cipher used in SSL, it's outdated and considered insecure, both Chrome and Firefox doesn't support it any longer and they are blocking such connections).

I wouldn't expect that to be enabled with a UCC SSL from GoDaddy but I can't be certain (as I cannot even check cipher streams because, well, the cert is unavailable when the connection fails).

There's, however, the other side of that, which is that odd behavior when the site actually does load fine sometimes (totally fine in Chrome and loads but with some mixed-content issues in Firefox).

I think there are some things to be checked to start with:

1. Since you are using Managed hosting, please get in touch with your host and ask them to double-check:

- if RC4 is enabled/disabled (it should be disabled)
    - if the HTTPS is properly set to point to the same root folder on the server as non-HTTPS (that's sometimes the case) or if that's somehow redirected instead; the "root folder" aka "document root" should be the same for both versions

2. Are there any server-side caches that can be cleared/disabled? If yes, please do it: first clear and then, if possible, disable temporarily. (the same applies to any caching plugins on site)

3. I don't think there's any CDN implemented like CloudFlare but I"m not sure about any possible CDN on GoDaddy's site; some hosts automatically implement some CDN's so if there's any, see if its caches can also be cleared and if it can be temporarily disabled; if so, do this please.

Please note: these steps (apart from checking RC4) are mostly diagnosing steps that could point us in a right direction to investigate it further. I'd appreciate if you could check it all, let me know please about results.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.