Huge suggestion reg. payment gateways, MarketPress, Membership, Supporter, etc

Hi!

Here's a little thing I've been thinking about. I put it here because it involves making a new plugin and some big changes in some of the existing ones. :slight_smile:

I'm about to develop two Swedish gateways for Marketpress. I think it would be awesome if Membership and Supporter could use them as well.

So the suggestion is develop a new plugin called i.e. "Payment Tollgate" or something other fitting. :slight_smile:

That plugin would handle the connection to external gateways and have an extendable API for other plugins that need payment possibilities.

Then adapt Marketpress, Membership, Supporter and other relevant plugins to use it! Simple, right? :wink:

I realize it's a big one, but it would make it a lot easier for you to extend in the future and for us users to adapt local gateways to your entire stable of plugins :slight_smile: What do you think?

Can I have some +1's? :wink:

Best Regards,
Anders

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

Heya Anders,

Welcome to WPMU DEV - you certainly seem to be the kinda new member that we love (i.e. full of good ideas and all that!)

This is actually something we've discussed before (internally) and could well make good sense - I'm gonna ask the main payment guys to share their thoughts here on desirability / complexity and alike.

Oh, and we'd love to add any gateways you develop to the releases... swap ya a free annual membership for them? :slight_smile:

Cheers, James

• gideonsmolders
    • Flash Drive

I agree with this
    Functions should never be duplicated, that should be one of the main advantages of using wpmu!

Besides payments, it could also apply to custom post type, as there is a main plugin and then there is classifieds, with a lot of overlapping features, I am sure there is a lot more

Hope this gets done, it would greatly ease understanding of setting up plugins. I currently ahve payment options in classifieds, membership and supporter

and classifieds and custompress dont play together. it is either one or the other. but as they overlap anyway...just go with classifieds it has all of custompress plus some extra front end setups..

• Anders E
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks, James!

It'll be awesome to get some feedback from the developers :slight_smile:

I think I'd be willing to swap the gateways.. but possibly once my main sites are up and running smoothly. By releasing them I'd increase my local competition :wink:

Would it be possible to swap them for priority on some custom development? I'd release them quicker for that!

• Aaron
    • CTO

We've seriously tossed this around internally, and even attempted it a few times. This would work fine if our plugins used payment gateways for ecommerce applications (ie shopping carts) as MarketPress does. In fact developing those is relatively simple as most gateways do this almost the same and documentation/examples are abundant.

The problem is most of our plugins require the use of subscription services, and the implementations of the various gateways are very different in that regard as well as in the features they support. The best we've been able to manage is borrowing code from each other.

• marketpress9
    • Flash Drive

I would love to see this done. I just tried to implement a new payment gateway. Mijireh and it installed but failed to activate. I must keep trying unless you guys decide to move forward with this? Let me know if it ever materializes, I will let you know if I can ever get it to work, I am limited by documentation, if I had that it would make things eaisier for me.

Check out>>>>> Mijireh <<<<<if you are interested, they are great, because they include multiple gateways and allow the user to slurp the look and feel of their own site; I think it is a win win situation if Mijireh gets implemented.

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.