Hi When Divi released their new Divi front end editor sevaral weeks ago, it di not work on my site. Elegant Themes support (Dustin Falgout) narrowed it down to a conflict with Hummingbird and entered into a dialogue with WPMU developers o resolve. So all of the background evidence should already be in the hands of WPMU.
The outcome of this was the update to Hummingbird that you released some weeks ago.
I installed the update and retested. Some of the main issues had been resolved but there were still some residual issues which made teh front end editor unusable on my site.
So I re-raised the issue with ET. They said that they had informed WPMU of the new issues, but theer has been no feedback from WPMU support to them. See ET latest response below
I apologize for the delay. We're extremely busy with prepping the Divi Builder Plugin's update for release right now. While we certainly would like for our products to be fully compatible with Hummingbird, it is but one of many items on our todo list and TBH its a low-priority at this time. But, like I said, we do want to resolve any remaining issues. It will simply take some time as it must be prioritized among all of our pending tasks.
This earlier post explains the new issues:
I have updates Hummingbird as requested, and checked teh Visual Builder as a result.
There are still formatting problems in the Visual Builder, but different from previously.
The Head section is all wrong
The H1,H2 H3 H4 have lost different elements of formatting
Body text looks better
There are still padding and margin problems, but not as severe.
There could be other problems but I did not investigate everything
I am now really getting very alarmed about the lenght of time this is all taking to resolve. This issue has been going on since early Sept.
Can you please respond, either to me, or to Dustin at ET, or preferablt both.