Humming bird css / js order

Been trying to get minification working right with my template but it hasn't gone smoothly.

I'm wondering how does it determine the file order when it merges the files? Does it respect the depends on array?

I ask because it seems to constantly move jQuery past bootstrap when loading the javascript and the css is all muddled up causing all sorts of issues.

I guess as a nice feature request it would be good to have the ability to re-order css / js in the graphic at the bottom to fix issues that auto detection might miss.

Also it would be nice to ignore / group / mark items which are related to the admin section so you can make informed decisions around which files need to be combined.

P.S. Happy to request help in getting minification working

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Wayne,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your post.

I'm wondering how does it determine the file order when it merges the files? Does it respect the depends on array?

I must admit that I'm not aware of the logic behind it as it's strictly a "development thing". I know that our devs are doing their best to make that feature as universal and "smart" as possible but I also can tell that it's not possible to make it fully "automatic" for each possible kind of configuration. There's too many variables and various factors to be considered and some of tham actually can only be tested with "trial & error" procedure.

I guess as a nice feature request it would be good to have the ability to re-order css / js in the graphic at the bottom to fix issues that auto detection might miss.

Yes, that sounds like a great feature! It would be great if you could start a separate thread about it in our "Features and Feedback" forum so other members of our community could vote for it and I'm sure that it wouldn't stay unnoticed by our developers

P.S. Happy to request help in getting minification working

I'd be happy to assist you with this however I'd need to be able to access your site in order to review Minification settings and make changes. Here's a guide on granting support access:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

I'd also need your help in testing the site later in order to make sure that everything's working as expected - that's because you know your site best and you will be able to catch issues that I may miss while checking it myself. Finally, I need to be sure that you are fully aware that the process may make your site temporarily "broken" or even unavailable for visitors. It's reversible easily but may happen.

Looking forward for your replay,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Wayne!

Thank you for granting access.

I enabled the minification again on your site and made some changes to it - mostly disabling minification and combine options for child-theme related files and additionally selected JS files. The site seems to be working fine now for me but it would be better if you could review and test it carefully.

Please note that you may need to clear your browser's cache first in order to be able to "really see" the changes If you find any aspect of the site that stopped working, let me know please what that is and were should I look for and I'll try adjusting Minification settings even more.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Wayne

Thanks for taking a look. Not sure how to got it to load the background correctly but unfortunately the fonts weren't right (went back to bootstrap defaults).

I unfortunately tried to move bootstrap to the header so it would load before the others so they could override it properly but just made it worse. Thought I put it back to how you had it but I couldn't get it to respond right afterward.

Think I'll have to leave it now and spin up another server to fix the theme because this site has to go online Monday (tomorrow).

Thanks for your help.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Wayne!

I'm sorry about this. I'm sure we could get it to work but of course I fully understand your decision to quit on this for now in that case.

If you ever decide to give it another shot, let me know please and I'll be more than happy to continue working on this with you. There's also another options: you can setup a staging site (which should be an exact copy of your current site, preferably on the same server) and we could continue there safely without affection your live setup.

Best regards,
    Adam