Hummingbird and server response time

After using hummingbird to mini java-script etc, my server response time has dropped from under 1 second to 4 seconds (according to google page speed insights). Also, hummingbird freezes when I try to run it's test facility, and also I wp-super cache installed, and it started reporting that timestamps don't match any more, and now just crashes, even after deleting and re-installing. Please help!

• Dimitris

Hey there Rick,

hope you're doing good today!

I inspected your website and here's my findings:

1. I activated browser caching for you in Hummingbird as it seems that wasn't set properly

2. Your server response time is still low even if HM is deactivated. I'd rather advise to contact your hosting provider on how you could possibly setup a proper caching system as advised in HB report performance page under the "Improve server response time" accordion.

3. I can see that you're using the Minification module. What can be done there in order to make things faster, is to try to move assets to the footer rather than their original position. Please keep in mind to do so in batches rather than all of them at once as this will most probably end up with inconsistencies and errors in frontend. You can filter those by plugin or theme, move them to footer and inspect your website until you've got some reliable settings.

4. While navigating to your backend pages, I was getting the following error in a white screen instead of a successfully rendered page:

Request Timeout
    This request takes too long to process, it is timed out by the server. If it should not be timed out, please contact administrator of this web site to increase 'Connection Timeout'.

I'd rather advise you to contact your hosting provider again on this to check if there's anything that can be made in their end, like increasing max_execution_time.

If this slow response continue in your end, I'd rather conducting a plugin/theme conflict test in order to pinpoint any of these that may cause this. Here you can find a nice flow chart for a generic test: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Support-Process-Support-Process.gif

Warm regards,
    Dimitris