Hummingbird and Smush not working properly

Hi there I have used the plugin Hummingbird to minimise js and css which it has done to some extent. Also using Smush to optimise my images.
However when I do a SEO test on site such as https://varvy.com/ it states that css is not minified and my images are not optimised plus no render blocking of js and css. COuld someone please have a look at my site and see why and/or what am I not doing correctly/
Many thanks
Kara

• James Morris

Hello Kara,

I hope you are well today. Thank you for your question.

Looking at your Hummingbird benchmark score of 88, this is pretty good. But, I do see that you have not configured Script Deferring. This option is how you can improve your Remove render blocking resources score. However, please not the following notice:

Note that it can be very hard to get a perfect score for this rule. Some plugins and themes due to their design may not be able to handle their scripts deferred to the footer without breaking, so will have to be left in their original position. And often combining and minifying all CSS files will not completely remove their impact on your score. Just try multiple combinations to improve this score as much as possible.

Now, as far as your Smush configuration goes... I see you only have shop_single (550x386) as selected as images to automatically optimize. For maximum performance, you should enable all image sizes. Also, you may want to consider enabling Convert PNG to JPEG (lossy) as this will further improve performance. Once you change these settings, you will want to recheck your images and do a Bulk Smush.

Finally, often times members will select images from the Media Library that are too large for the area of the page and this forces their theme/plugin to resize the image using HTML/CSS. As a general rule of thumb, if your content area requires an image that is 150x150px, you should select that image, or crop it on your computer and upload it. This helps improve page load performance.

I hope this clarifies a bit. Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• Kara

Hi James Thanks so very much for your swift and detailed response. Great to have confirmation that my score of 88 is good. I have actually optimised all the images previously. The list you were viewing with only one size ticked was my latest attempt at further optimising my large shop photos to a smaller version. I have tried configuring Script deferring but some scripts no longer worked. I got a bit nervous about doing it as I'm not an overly experienced programmer. Plus takes lot of time to check one at a time. I will try again when I have more time to painstakingly configure each one and then check my website that it's working. I knew I could also change PNG images to JPEG but saw warning that the URL would change. Once again need time to check and update URLs. With images are you suggesting it's better to have images stored on one's server rather than stored on the Media Library? I have noticed that WP makes 10 or more size versions of each image. This does take up a lot of memory of my server. Does WP and/or my theme load ALL sizes of an image when loading a page?
    You've been a great help.
    Kind regards
    Kara

• James Morris

Hello Kara,

I hope you are well today.

When you upload images to the Media Library, they should be stored on the website's server unless you have a CDN setup to host your images remotely.

When you convert PNG to JPEG, it will change the file extension of the image, but it won't affect the URL of posts/pages. Unless image hosting is the primary focus of your site and thus SEO, the impact will be negligible if any. The image will be associated with the content and the next crawl by the engines should reflect this change.

WordPress does make multiple sizes of your images, but that is controlled by the functions.php of your theme and the settings in your Admin -> Settings -> Media area. Depending on how many image sizes are defined in your functions.php, this can take up a good bit of storage space (HDD/SDD), but will not impact memory (RAM).

Neither WordPress or your theme should load all image sizes on page load. Only the selected image should be loaded. So, that won't impact performance unless you've selected an image that is too large for the content area in question.

I hope that clarifies a bit. Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• Kara

Hi James Thanks once again for your speedy reply and detailed explanation. That all makes perfect sense and clarifies a lot of points I was unsure of previously. Very impressed with the excellent level of help and speed of replies. Thank you. I feel much more informed thanks to your information and detail. Thank you for taking the time to assist me. Much appreciated.
    Kind regards
    Kara

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.