Hummingbird Asset Optimization Compression Savings Update

Hummingbird Asset Optimization not updating Compression Savings on files set for compressed, and also combine. Files show being in queue for compression.

• Bamboo Kit
    • Staff

Hello, Mick

I hope you’re well today and thank you for reaching out to us.

I've looked into your Hummingbird Asset Optimization but can't replicate the issue as you were mentioning it, however, I've clear the cache and re-check the files for you, still after it re-checked, all the asset that you have optimized are being show updated version in the dashboard as it should be. Also, I couldn't find any asset left queuing for compression either, Please find the screenshot below, for further information.

This is a screenshot from your Hummingbird Pro -> Asset Optimization dashboard

This is a screenshot where you can find the asset that have been compressed.

Moreover, I would recommend you to clear the browser cache and then try to reload the page again.
    If it still happens please try to open your site in incognito mode and see does it still happen.
    I found this page and it was very helpful for clearing the browser cache, you can check it out, hope it helps: https://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/home/

Hope this help, thank you.

Kind regards,
    Bamboo

• Mick
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Bamboo,

Thanks for your message.
    I see that the compressing seems to be working now.

However, what is not working yet is the combination of CSS and JS files. All the files are still being loaded separately. I've checked this in the source of the page in the browser and in several Speed tests, after cleaning website's and browser's cache various times.

Also various files that I told Hummingbird not to load are being loaded anyway. Therefor the speed and also the test results in testing websites like Google Pagespeed stay very low. (see screenshots)

If I use the caching plugin from your colleagues at W3 Total Cache the speed and website score is much better. But I'm using Hummingbird & WPMU solutions for all of my websites and hope to be able to use it for this one as well.

Looking forward to hear from you.
    Mick

• Mick
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Bamboo,
    I realize now that for all the websites I'm using the combination of css / JS in Hummingbird is not working properly anymore and the speed and scores on Speed tests went down. This used to work properly before. It's hard for me to say since when this stopped working. Can you please let me know what's going on?
    Best,
    Mick

• Bamboo Kit
    • Staff

Hello, Mick

Thank you for your information and reply.

I have investigated through your site and found that Hummingbird Pro -> Asset Optimization has been set to "don't load files", which causing many errors in console, since all those files that you've chosen not to load is an important files due to another plugin need to use those files to load, in order to make it work, however, I decided to re-check the files and fix those errors, by selecting files that can be combined and minify.

Now seem to be no error from my end, please check the screenshot below.

Moreover, I have also made some optimization in Smush Pro by enabling "Super-smush", this seem to help improve your site speed, however, I run a test using Gtmetrix instead of Google PageSpeed Insights please check the screenshot below.

Please note that in Google PageSpeed Insights I believe that there might be something blocking the Hummingbird Pro Asset Optimization, so Google keep showing that the files haven't been compressed, then I take a further investigation and found that most files that shown in google are related to LayerSlider WP plugin which may cause this conflict with
    Hummingbird Pro Asset Optimization, I would suggest you to deactivate LayerSlider WP then run a test on Google PageSpeed again, if the problem still exists, I advise you to perform a conflict test, including a theme change to a default theme or creating a staging by following these steps below.

First, create a recent backup in case you lose any settings during the test and have to restore to a previous working state.

Then deactivate all plugins, activate a default theme like TwentySeventeen, clear all caches and check again if the issue is still there. If not, it means that something is conflicting, so start activating the remaining plugins and theme, one by one this time, checking every time for the reported issue, until you reproduce the issue, thus finding the conflicted combination.

The following flowchart image can assist you during this test: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Support-Process-Support-Process.gif

If this is a live website with traffic, I'd rather advise to create a staging environment, meaning a complete and exact copy of this installation into another location/folder in the same server, using a separate database, and perform the test in there instead without worrying about the live site. Reference: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-2

Hope this help, thank you :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
    Bamboo

• Mick
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Bamboo,
    Can you please invert all the latest changes you made?
    I don't want Supersmush activated, this is a choice I made deliberately, because it decreases the quality of images too much. Can you please return to the previous state?
    Then also various details on the website have changed like the font on 'filter toepassen' for example and there's an empty line between the header and the description in the jobs section that wasn't there before (screenshot).
    Hummingbird not properly working has nothing to do with Pagespeed Insights, just check the page source and you'll see that all of the CSS and JS files are being loaded separately instead of being combined. I'm not happy with the support I'm receiving here.
    Please revert all the changes you made and let me know.
    I'll look into another solution.
    Mick

• Bamboo Kit
    • Staff

Hello, Mick

I'm truly sorry for not asking your permission before activating Super Smush, however, I thought that this option might help your site to improve more speed, but I was wrong, however, I've fully restored all your images to the original size, in order to do that you can navigate to Media -> select image that you wish to restore -> in Smush tab -> click Restore

Moreover about what you said

" various details on the website have changed like the font on 'filter toepassen' for example and there's an empty line between the header and the description in the jobs section that wasn't there before "

I would love to help you fix these issues, but first I would need more information about what Font that you wish to use for "filter toepassen" please give me more additional detail.
    Second, about the empty line between the header and the description, I've made a custom CSS that might fix this issue to add this CSS please navigate to Appearance ->Customize -> Additional CSS then paste this CSS below.

.job-description {
        margin-top: -5px !important;
    }

Please note that you can change the value -5px to what you desire, in order to move the gap between the header and the description.

This is a screenshot when I apply this CSS in console

Let me know if there is anything else that I can do.

Kind regards,
    Bamboo

• Mick
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Dear bamboo,
    It's ok, shit happens. Thanks for your proactive attitude.
    Various questions of minde I don't see answered, correct me if I'm wrong. Can you please look at the following:

Hummingbird not properly working has nothing to do with Pagespeed Insights, just check the page source and you'll see that all of the CSS and JS files are being loaded separately instead of being combined.

I realize now that for all the websites I'm using the combination of css / JS in Hummingbird is not working properly anymore and the speed and scores on Speed tests went down. This used to work properly before. It's hard for me to say since when this stopped working. Can you please let me know what's going on?

Summarised: combining of files by Hummingbird is not working.
    Do you know what's going on there? This is a vital functionality for me for Hummingbird to be valuable. If it doesn't work anymore I'll have to look into other solutions.
    Thanks.
    Mick

• Bamboo Kit
    • Staff

Hello, Mick

Hope you are well and thank you for the reply.

I would love to answer the questions about Hummingbird Pro Asset optimization.

First, it can be very hard to get a perfect score for this rule. Some plugins and themes due to their design may not be able to handle their scripts deferred to the footer without breaking, so will have to be left in their original position. And often combining and minifying all CSS files will not completely remove their impact on your score.

Second, After you do an Asset Optimization scan, please try to visit the front page to trigger the processing of assets. If you hover over the spinning icons, you’ll see the tooltip, explaining when the files are optimized.

If none of the files are optimized, regardless of visiting the front page of your site, please verify that WordPress cron is functioning properly.

Hope this helps, thank you.

Kind regards,
    Bamboo

• Bamboo Kit
    • Staff

Hello, Jordan

Hope you’re well today and thank you for reaching out to us.

We would love to take a closer look at your site and help you optimize it, however, it is better to open a new ticket separately rather than working in a single ticket to avoid confusion with another member.

You can also contact us via our Live chat for further information please check: https://premium.wpmudev.org/hub/support/#get-support

Thank you and looking forward to help you.

Kind Regards,
    Bamboo

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.