Hummingbird broke my site

I attempted a hummingbird install and it ended up breaking my site. I removed it and everything else and I got the majority of my site back however many admin pages are broken. I attempted to restore from backup and they are still broken somehow. I can not edit a page or post, /update-core.php is also a mess. Something hasta give. Can you guys fix it?

• Jim

I believe that was only a sympton of something underlying as some other pages like
    https://steelnation.com/wp-admin/update-core.php

still does not work - see attached

it is a step in the right direction regardless, deactivating it did let that edit page render, which i thought i tried before... but am thankful for your effort regardless!

I was also alerted that the drop down menus are not working (with or without code light activated)

I think (according to the one earlier tech, and it makes the most sense) The underlying problem, JS or CSS that Hummingbird affected is still there? Does anyone there know how to trouble shoot and fix these types of issues?

• Sohag Ronjon Dey

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply and I hope you are having a beautiful day!

I am really very sorry if you are facing any inconvenience. I have gone through site and found the update page is rendering fine. Please check the attachment. Can you please check the site?

The minification of js and css is a tricky part as many plugins and themes load files in different order. So it will be better if you minify the files one by one and see when the site breaks. Please check this link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxbXlV2lrfM

We will look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
    Sohag.

• Wajed

Hi Jim,

Hope you are having a great day!

In your admin side errors coming from "load-scripts.php", that is because WordPress combines multiple scripts into a single request so admin pages load a little more quickly, but since multiple scripts are loaded at once, an error in one script can affect the others. You can prevent this, so that each script will load individually by adding this line of code to your wp-config.php file:

define('CONCATENATE_SCRIPTS', false);

Be sure to add it before the line that says: /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

And for front side JS error disable mod_pagespeed by adding below code in your .htaccess file and follow as Sohag suggested. As you can see unminify version is working fine without any error. https://steelnation.com/?avoid-minify=true

<IfModule pagespeed_module>
        ModPagespeed off
    </IfModule>

Please let me know if you need any help. Thanks!

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Wajed

• Jim

I added your codes to wpconfig and htaccess, I kind of understand what you are saying about minified stuff but i dont understand why you keep throwing it at me like i havent tried everything i know how to try.

PLEASE GIVE ME MY SITE BACK AS IF HUMMINGBIRD WAS NEVER INSTALLED... I unchecked EVERYTHING in hummingbird, i even i uninstalled it and every other WPMU plugin once... nothing has brought my site back to they way it was and 100% functional.. which is why this ticket is still open... it worked fine without all the removing certain plugins, editing htaccess and wp-config changes BEFORE i installed hummingbird... now things (like menus) are still broken. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FIX IT

• Wajed

Hi Jim,

Hope you are having a great day!

The problem was us.core.min.js JS file from your theme framework was move to header and it was causing the JS error and breaks your site but now it is move back to footer and problem solved.

You can still have all the benefits of using Hummingbird by adjusting the settings that works for you. Different themes and plugins use different combination of CSS and JS asset files and some assets need to be unfiminified and uncombined. But it's not possible for us to find any optimum setup. So I'm afraid, you will have to do this checking manually to find out the best combination for your site.

Note: Moving files between the header and footer of your page can break your website. We recommend tweaking and checking each file as you go and if a setting causes errors then revert the setting here.

Is it safe to remove HUmmingbird now?

Actually Hummingbird doesn't modify any existing file. It just combines them and creates new cached files and enqueue those cached minified and combined files. So when you disable Hummingbird, it doesn't do this anymore and your original files are enqueued again. So I believe, after deactivating Hummingbird and clearing cache and cookies your site should work as it was before using Hummingbird.

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
      Wajed