[Hummingbird] Cache losing speaker images

I chatted with someone the other day about this, turned on logging, and he said to create a ticket if it happened again. It's happened again...
The homepage has a list of speaker images that should appear. However, after a couple days or so, they no longer appear. My guess is that it's the cache losing them.

I've enabled WPMUDev Support Access...

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Jeremy

Currently, I can see the speaker images on the site. So it doesn't happen always. You also mention about that. This is quite difficult to troubleshoot an issue when the issue doesn't appear.

Is it possible for you to create a sandbox site which will be an exact replica of the current site, so we can replicate the issue on that site and then troubleshoot?

Once you create the sandbox site, please send the following details of the sandbox site:

- Site admin URL
    - Site admin username and password
    - FTP Host, username, password
    - cPanel/Hosting panel URL, username and password for DB access

You can send me privately in the following format:
    1. Please go to https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question
    2. Select "I have a different question" if not selected
    3. In subject line put "Attn-Ashok" (this will ensure that the email is assigned to me)
    4. Provide the wanted details.
    5. Add the thread link in the message so that I can track.

We will take a closer look on the issue. Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Jeremy
    • Flashed Driver

Hi Ash,

That seems like a somewhat lengthy process (for a newbie), that could be fun and even worthwhile to set up. However, before I get distracted from other work, I wonder if it might be possible to check the logs that were turned on the other day?
    The reason I ask, is because the homepage didn't show the images before I logged in today. I haven't cleared the cache or anything, but did 'Preview' a page, and then opened a page to edit in Thrive Architect. I didn't edit it, just opened and closed, and I also see that they're showing now.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Jeremy

I doubt if the log info related to this issue as it seems the cache issue and the logs report the errors. But still, it's worth checking. Would you please send me the log? You will find the log at /wp-content/ folder and the file name is debug.log. You will need a FTP client or cPanel file manager to download the file.

If you have any other log information, send them too. If the file is big, post the content in http://pastebin.com and send me the link.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Jeremy,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, thanks for sharing the log files, unfortunately it doesn't give much info about what exact could be causing this. I could notice notices, which shouldn't be causing an issue in general.

I also checked with the developer, and I'm afraid it's something which is tough to pin point what exact is causing this, without seeing the issue live, or replicating in our side.

Other factors to consider, is to check whether you have server cache enabled by your hosting provider, to double check whether there isn't any conflict causing due to this.

Also, please do check "Clear full cache when post/page is updated" is enabled under Hummingbird Pro > Caching > Page Caching, and File Change Detection is set to Automatic, under Hummingbird Pro > Caching > Settings

As asked before, if is it possible to setup a staging website where we could test this out? Maybe, you could check with your hosting provider to help setup a staging website, where we could test this out?

Also, please do share a full screenshot next time you notice the issue in your live site too. Looking forward to your response, so that we could see how to move forward with the issue.

Regards,
    Nithin

• Jeremy
    • Flashed Driver

I spent many hours attempting to setup a staging site (staging3), and it's not working right. None of the images appear on the homepage, another page just gives 500 errors, other pages don't have images. It's a mess. My guess is that the Smushed images don't match up or something.
    I went in to check the cache settings, and as far as I could tell, they're set up on auto.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Jeremy,

Sorry to hear about that. How did you try to setup a staging? You could also set up via plugins like Shipper Pro, or Duplicator to see whether it helps in setting up staging so that the issue could be looked upon closely.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/shipper-pro/
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

I do understand setting up a staging can be time-consuming, however, such issues could happen if there is a conflict, we tried to replicate this in our system, but it works fine when tested. Nor our developer could pinpoint what exactly is causing without seeing the issue live.

A staging site, with the steps to replicate the issue, would be of much help so that we could help get you sorted asap.

In the meanwhile, if you notice the issue again in the Live site, please do share full screenshots of where all you notice the issue so that we could bring this into the developers attention too.

Looking forward to your response. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Jeremy
    • Flashed Driver

Still failing. I've ignored all the large files listed, and then also attempted the migration as an Export numerous times, and again as an import on the staging site numerous times. Any ideas why it's failing, and what I can do to fix it for a successful import?

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Jeremy ,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Could you please open a new chat regarding the issue with migrating the site via Shipper Pro, so this could be looked upon closely, and possibly be ticketed in case it needs more attention.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/hub/support/#get-support

I do understand the staging is created as part of the issue noticed in here. Working on multiple issues on the same ticket can bring more confusion, I hope you understand.

Once the issue with Shipper Pro is fixed, and you the staging site up, you could share the credentials as requested in the initial reply, so that we could give a closer look at the Hummingbird Cache issue.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/hummingbird-cache-losing-speaker-images#post-1377243

You could also check with your hosting provider whether they could help in setting up a staging which should be much easier for your host to configure.

Please let us know how that goes, have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

• Jeremy
    • Flashed Driver

Hi Nithin,

My sites are currently down, because of a TOS issue. They said the CPU was over-utilized, at 57%, and shut down http access. I had Shipper Pro running, and think that was what caused the overuse. Hopefully we can get this resolved a lot quicker than the couple months it's taken so far. I'll plan to open a separate ticket.

• Jeremy
    • Flashed Driver

Ok, the sites are back up finally. After numerous emails and phone calls to HostGator, I was FINALLY able to get someone to simply unlock my account!

Well, now I know that my site is too big (~60Gb) to use Shipper Pro to migrate. After many failed attempts on two subdomains, getting my site shut down & locked down for over a week (due to overuse of the CPU), I'm hoping to get things working once again.

Attempting to troubleshoot this issue has been costing me more time and hassle than it seems to be worth, though I'd just like the images to show, being that they're the speaker images on the home page - kind of important, especially when the site is actually up. I suspect it to be something like the server-side caching in conflict with Hummingbird, or something to do with WPBakery's Visual Composer, that seems to be hosed on my site, and I haven't been able to figure out how to edit the home page since. Seems like they don't like to play nice, so I haven't even been able to use Thrive Architect to edit it, without rebuilding the page (haven't gotten there yet).

• Jeremy
    • Flashed Driver

I believe I've finally been successful at getting the staging site set up and working (by doing it manually). This included a big mistake with drag & drop of the uploads folder in cPanel, not realizing that even though it gave an error (as if it didn't do anything), it actually moved the files from my base to somewhere else (I'm not sure where exactly). I believe I was able to restore them, and then copy the uploads (so that the images would be included) back to the main website. The new staging site can be found at: https://staging3.earthiswakingup.com/

Do you need anything else from me to take a closer look now?

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi Jeremy

Hope you are doing well.

I can see some images are using the background image from CSS, but the CSS isn't loading causing the problem.

It happens on most of the time when a page/post is updated but the caches still the old on the front end, first make sure you have only one caching plugin, we try to avoid using two plugins for the same feature.

Wouldn't you mind, please, flush all caches, and activate two Hummingbird settings?

On caching option, enable the Clear full cache when post/page is updated

Navigate to Settings and enable the File Change Detection to be automatic.

It can avoid this cache issue, however, please, update us in case this happens again.

Let us know if you need any further help on this.
    Best Regards,
    Patrick Freitas

• Jeremy
    • Flashed Driver

Interesting to note, just now, neither the live site or the staging site were showing images. I used the dropdown at the top Hummingbird > Clear Page Cache only on the live site, to get the images to show again. They showed up on the live site. Then, I checked the staging site, and found them showing there too. Very curious...

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi Jeremy

Thank you for the update.

I can't see any problem on the debug file.

Most of the time those are regular lines, especially the Page not cached because of active cron or ajax request., after cron or ajax finishes, the page will be cached.

We released a new version of Hummingbird with some fixes.

Wouldn't you mind please, update to this new version?

If the issue persists, please, forward us some information and we can have a closer look at the issue.

Note: Don't leave your login details in this ticket.

Instead, you can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question:

Subject: "Attn: Patrick Freitas"

- Site login URL:

- WordPress admin username:
    - WordPress admin password:

- FTP/SFTP credentials

Host:
    Username:
    Password:
    Port:

- cPanel credentials

Host:
    Username:
    Password:

- Folder path to the site in question:

- Link back to this thread for reference

- Any other relevant URLs/info:

Please, reply to the ticket once you have sent the information.
    Best Regards
    Patrick Freitas

• Jeremy
    • Flashed Driver

Hi Patrick,

I was told that Kasia was assigned this, and sent this info to her a couple weeks ago, including a login info to the site & FTP, cPanel, etc. As I'm juggling a lot and not really specializing in technical details much anymore, is it possible you might be able to dig a level deeper on this one for me? It's been almost three months since I first opened this ticket, and have been noticing recently that my live site has this issue closer to daily, as opposed to every two or three days.

Hummingbird is already automatically on the latest version as far as I can tell, 2.0.0.1.

Since that was done through the website as (I have a different question...), I don't have a record of it in my email. Is it possible you could get that from Kasia and track down the root cause please?

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Jeremy,

Sorry to hear about the ongoing issue, and the time it's taking to troubleshoot. I could access the credentials shared to Kasia for the Staging website, and it seems like the speaker images are loading fine now in the staging website at the moment.

I'm afraid, the only way to troubleshoot the issue is when we could replicate the issue or see the issue live, which would give a better idea about what's causing it.

When checking the staging site setting for Hummingbird it doesn't look like the settings are configured exactly as it's in live site? However, to confirm the settings are same we'll need access to the live site dashboard, and double check whether the settings are similarly configured in the staging site too.

For example, the options already mentioned in the previous reply to be enabled doesn't seem to be enabled in the Staging site.

Seems like support access to your live website is no longer enabled. Could you please either enabled support access to your website? You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Or send the WP admin Login credentials for the live site as mentioned by Patrick, so that we could compare the settings regarding, and wait for a couple of days to see the issue gets replicated in the staging site too.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/hummingbird-cache-losing-speaker-images#post-1395724

Looking forward to your response. Have a good day ahead.

Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for enabling support access, really helpful. I could notice the settings are similar for Staging, and Live site at the moment, and the issue is replicated in the staging site too.

Please make sure not to make any changes in the staging site, as we are bringing this anomaly into our developer's attention. Please do keep the support access for the Live site open in case we have to further compare the settings.

Will keep you posted once we get further feedback regarding this asap. Have a great weekend ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

• Jeremy
    • Flashed Driver

Any updates? It's been a couple more weeks, and now I see the images appearing (at this moment). I'm still noticing on my live site, that I'm having to manually clear the cache every 24 hours or so, and getting ready to have a lot more traffic, and would love to have this resolved asap if possible, to prevent lost opt-ins (revenue)...

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.